[SOLVED] MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI mobo w/ Intel i5 11400F - Max. memory speed possible with XMP Profile?

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Hello, I'm a noob trying to build my first gaming PC (nothing high end) and have settled on Intel's i5 11400F and MSI's B560M PRO-VDH WIFI motherboard for now.
My questions are:
  1. The motherboard specification (link) lists "2133/ 2666/ 2933/ 3200 MHz" as the speeds (or frequencies?) for 11th gen processors. Are these speeds before or after enabling the XMP profile?
  2. If the above speeds are before enabling XMP, how do I find the maximum speed I can have after enabling XMP?
  3. The mobo specification also lists overclocking speeds ranging from 4000 MHz to 5066 MHz. Are these the speeds I get with an overclocked processor or are they the result of enabling XMP?
  4. Will the maximum XMP speed be limited by the processor or the chipset in this particular case?
I'm also open to suggestions if the current processor/mobo combination is not "recommended".

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I missed to mention, I can pick a RAM that can run at the max. XMP speed possible, so it's not a limiting factor for me at this point.

Last edited:
Solution
No I meant only about ram speed. B560 allows xmp overclocking, running faster ram than previously allowed on older Bx60 (and Hx70 / Hx10) chipsets where xmp didn't increase ram frequency. B460 for example was limited to cpu memory controller and only Z series boards could run faster ram.

11th gen, your 11400, 3200 is native ram speed, see memory specification.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...11400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

Intel has removed restrictions regarding xmp on B560 chipset motherboards.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
11th gen memory controller is rated at 3200 so yes, native without the use of xmp if went 3200 ram. But you would still enable xmp so timings are also set following the xmp profile embedded in the ram. B560 allows further memory overclocking so xmp will work for faster memory modules but anything faster than 3600 will be a crapshoot regardless what the motherboard specs says might be possible. I advise going as far as 3600 and call it a day on B560 chipset because processor cannot be overclocked to further make faster than 3600 / possibly little more, ram stable.

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
11th gen memory controller is rated at 3200 so yes, native without the use of xmp if went 3200 ram. But you would still enable xmp so timings are also set following the xmp profile embedded in the ram. B560 allows further memory overclocking so xmp will work for faster memory modules but anything faster than 3600 will be a crapshoot regardless what the motherboard specs says might be possible. I advise going as far as 3600 and call it a day on B560 chipset because processor cannot be overclocked to further make faster than 3600 / possibly little more, ram stable.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure I understand this correctly. Are you saying the 11th gen native 3200 MHz can be boosted to 3600 MHz by the XMP? I thought the XMP did not affect the processor at all, just the mobo/RAM.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No I meant only about ram speed. B560 allows xmp overclocking, running faster ram than previously allowed on older Bx60 (and Hx70 / Hx10) chipsets where xmp didn't increase ram frequency. B460 for example was limited to cpu memory controller and only Z series boards could run faster ram.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...11400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

Solution

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019

I understand now.
After enabling the XMP profile, can the frequency be further increased by changing the DRAM frequency? If so, is there a thumb rule for how much the DRAM should be preferably set to?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Xmp is an overclock preset. The motherboard reads from ram what the ram can do. You can try overclock ram further manually but that may require increasing timings and voltage. Some ram can overclock past it's xmp speed depending on quality and luck but usually what the speed ram is sold as is the limit the ram itself is capable of. Ie Some 3200 CL 14 could overclock to 3600 easily but you're paying a premium for that kind of ram than just going for 3600 CL 16 anyway.

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Xmp is an overclock preset. The motherboard reads from ram what the ram can do. You can try overclock ram further manually but that may require increasing timings and voltage. Some ram can overclock past it's xmp speed depending on quality and luck but usually what the speed ram is sold as is the limit the ram itself is capable of. Ie Some 3200 CL 14 could overclock to 3600 easily but you're paying a premium for that kind of ram than just going for 3600 CL 16 anyway.

Thank you. All my questions are now answered. I'll come back here once I pick out all the parts for my build, and hopefully, you can take a look and let me know if I've gone wrong anywhere.