News MSI B660 Alder Lake Motherboards Allegedly Leak, Priced From $119

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Good to start seeing these come to light. If true DDR5 only, that contradicts reports I saw saying only Z690 would be DDR5 compatible(maybe it only has to do with memory speed then?). I could see cutting PCIE Gen 5 or limiting lanes of PCIE Gen4 as well as memory speed support differences between the highest chipste (Z690) vs the business/budget options [H670, B650, H610].

I am in the market for a cheap LGA1700 mATX and ITX DDR4 board.
Only 2 ITX Z690 DDR4 options and they aren't great, cooler placement issues I read on the gigabyte and the asrock still not released...

Even if you can get the CPU at a great price/discount. I personally don't want to drop $300 on a board.Bad timing I am guessing with chip shortage and tariffs.

Reactions: Why_Me

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Kind of silly if they are bringing in budget boards that requires DDR5 memory that is non-existent or cost more than double than the board. Basically the lack of DDR5 memory, and lack of options for more affordable DDR4 boards are hampering Alder Lake take up.

Kind of silly if they are bringing in budget boards that requires DDR5 memory that is non-existent or cost more than double than the board. Basically the lack of DDR5 memory, and lack of options for more affordable DDR4 boards are hampering Alder Lake take up.
If these are going to be used as budged mobos then they are going to used in 4-5 months time when the budged CPUs come out, so current ddr5 prices don't matter.
For the time being, or rather for whenever these come out they will just be a cheaper option for the non-k models compared to the high end z boards.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
If these are going to be used as budged mobos then they are going to used in 4-5 months time when the budged CPUs come out, so current ddr5 prices don't matter.
For the time being, or rather for whenever these come out they will just be a cheaper option for the non-k models compared to the high end z boards.
I am not optimistic DDR5 prices will come down in the next 6 months, at least not to the current DDR4 prices. They are super rare now due to shortage of components, which may stretch on.

Also, I don't feel that everyone people buying the overclockable Intel processors will actually overclock it eventually. The base and boost clockspeed are higher with the K models, than the non K models, which itself can be quite attractive. I generally go with K models, but because I don't overclock the CPU, I don't mind going for lower end H or B series motherboards.

Reactions: cyrusfox
Also, I don't feel that everyone people buying the overclockable Intel processors will actually overclock it eventually. The base and boost clockspeed are higher with the K models, than the non K models, which itself can be quite attractive. I generally go with K models, but because I don't overclock the CPU, I don't mind going for lower end H or B series motherboards.
In that case how does it not make sense for them to support ddr5?
Why would you want a super high end CPU and use it with ddr4?

I'm sure that if ddr5 prices don't come down by the time the rest of AL releases they will release cheap mobos with ddr4 support only. Or they or some other company will do that anyway at some point.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Exactly no reason to overclock, I am running a 11700K on Water and a 10850K with a giant air cooler(Both on Z490 boards), The extra 100-200MHz I can get out of them isn't worth the power or stability hit. At stock boost they are perfect.

Really looking to move both over to 12900k, too bad Alder lake has killed the resale value of those old CPU's, (I have seen the 11900k selling for $225...).

cyrusfox

Distinguished
In that case how does it not make sense for them to support ddr5?
Why would you want a super high end CPU and use it with ddr4?

I'm sure that if ddr5 prices don't come down by the time the rest of AL releases they will release cheap mobos with ddr4 support only. Or they or some other company will do that anyway at some point.
Very few are going to go for DDR5, yes it is faster but on most applications no improvement detected, also if you already have $300-400 in DDR4 and you can reuse it, why wouldn't you seek to do so? DDR5 is essentially double the price, looking at $550 just for a kit of 2x32GB and $330 for a kit of 2x16GB, both kits are generally sold out everywhere...

I have a 64GB DDR4(2x32GB) platform used for content creation, and 32GB(2x16) on the gaming machine. no need to move to DDR5 till 2023, Raptor lake will also support DDR4, 2 years hopefully prices will approach DDR4, with the added components on a DDR5 module though I don't expect it ever to reach parity.

Reactions: Why_Me

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I can't believe how stubborn they are with trying to force DDR 5 on everyone. There is no DDR 5 to be found in stock. Scalper prices are just ridiculous and I would never give one of those leeches any money.

If there was enough DDR5 to match the 12000 CPU's they would have sold out of CPU's. There is a legitimate very good IPC improvement. Big multi core improvement with the extra E cores. I had a 12900K and ASUS Max Apex XIV in my cart at Newegg, but there has never been any DDR 5. I signed up for notifications for everything I could and haven't gotten one in stock alert.

I don't believe for a second Intel and board partners didn't know how scarce DDR 5 was going to be.
I don't understand why they didn't release more DDR 4 boards. There are a couple ok boats but they are missing something that's a deal breaker to me .

I would think Intel and partners would want as much money as quick as possible. Lack of DDR5 is losing a lot sales.

I can't believe how stubborn they are with trying to force DDR 5 on everyone. There is no DDR 5 to be found in stock. Scalper prices are just ridiculous and I would never give one of those leeches any money.

If there was enough DDR5 to match the 12000 CPU's they would have sold out of CPU's. There is a legitimate very good IPC improvement. Big multi core improvement with the extra E cores. I had a 12900K and ASUS Max Apex XIV in my cart at Newegg, but there has never been any DDR 5. I signed up for notifications for everything I could and haven't gotten one in stock alert.

I don't believe for a second Intel and board partners didn't know how scarce DDR 5 was going to be.
I don't understand why they didn't release more DDR 4 boards. There are a couple ok boats but they are missing something that's a deal breaker to me .

I would think Intel and partners would want as much money as quick as possible. Lack of DDR5 is losing a lot sales.
What's this board missing?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-z690-a-gaming-wifi-d4/p/N82E16813119505
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 $349.99

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
What's this board missing?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-z690-a-gaming-wifi-d4/p/N82E16813119505
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 $349.99

Yes that's one of the best available. However, for me, it's missing the extra PCIE lanes and slots that alder and z690 chipset have available. I have 2 x 3090's and want to be able to have space for my sound card and that PCIE M.2 expansion card. Currently I have an Apex Z490 so I use the DIMM.2 for my M.2 drives. So with that strix board I'd have to settle for not being able to use everything I want.

I am seriously considering buying that strix board with a 12900K then waiting until DDR5 is available in canada and getting a Maximus Apex or maybe the formula. I just bought a new case the Corsair 7000D in white so the strix then the formula would look amazing in it. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

No real word from anyone anywhere about when DDR5 might actually be available in quantities large enough to eliminate scalpers.
Video cards is one thing, they at least can be used for mining but RAM? That's just scum bags ripping people off.