MSI B75MA-P45 does not post/boot anymore

rpg.aleksy

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Hi there,

So I'm having an issue with my computer since Monday afternoon that escalated in me not being able to do anything with it anymore.

It all started with me wanting to create a system backup in Win10, when suddenly (I hadn't started the backup yet) a BSOD hit me, Error: Faulty Hardware Corrupted Page.
Following that I basically lost access to my system SSD (it's a Hackintosh+Win machine btw), using a Windows USB and chkdsk /F it turned out the file system was damaged with a lot of index files being corrupted etc. which it managed to repair to a readable state again.
That didn't help much as Windows couldn't load due to a new error: Inaccessible Boot Device (at some point macOS refused to boot too, which somehow resolved itself later on).

After some attempts at repairing Windows a weird booting behaviour started to emerge, mainly resulting in the computer having to turn itself off and on again a couple of times before it even displayed a POST-code or the main boot screen.
This went well for just a few reboots until yesterday I couldn't get it to show anything on the screen at all.
The only signs of life at this point are spinning fans, the power and drive LEDs being lit (the latter one for just a few seconds) and my keyboard occasionally flashing up for a fraction of a second after powering on. No signal from the system speaker, no video output.

I have tried booting with different hardware combinations, one stick of RAM, no GPU, Ubuntu USB as only boot drive, even going as far as checking whether parts are physically damaged but nothing seems to help.

Maybe somebody here has had a similar problem and/or knows what to do in such a situation.
Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Mobo: MSI B75MA-P45
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (3x4GB Kingston + 1x4GB Nanya)
GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX
PSU: LITEON 450W (specific model unknown)
Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2TB WD Caviar Green + 3TB Seagate HDD

rpg.aleksy

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
It worked totally fine before but I gotta admit I always was a bit skeptical of how long it will last.
I'll see if I got another PSU lying around somewhere to test it out with and will post updates when there's news.

rpg.aleksy

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Update:
I haven't found another working PSU but I've checked the suspect with a multimeter, the voltages are fine and match the spec.
Also found out it is a LITEON PS-6451-5, which apparently was specifically made for the Acer Predator G36x0 Prebuild, which my machine was initially.

I'm slowly thinking I might have somehow managed to fry (a part of) the mobo, but I'm not certain at all.

Update 2: Disconnecting all USB devices seems to help, reconnecting them after the main boot screen shows up makes them usable as well. Doesn't seem to boot at all while anything USBish is connected. Investigating possible voltage/power issues once again with a fresh PSU I just bought.

Update 3: No luck with the new PSU. Before replacing the old one I managed to catch a rare glimpse at the UEFI BIOS and instead of 16GB of RAM it displayed only 8GB. Next trying to boot with different RAM combinations. No beeps or video output with "new PSU" yet. Assuming everything from Mobo to RAM failure at this point (unless somebody could tell from experience that it's not component XY for sure).

TRENDING THREADS