[SOLVED] MSI b85m-e45 with diferent memories frequencies

Apr 2, 2020
I have a MSI b85m-e45( bios v10.9) with 2x4gb hyperx 1600mhz c10(HX316C10F) and i bought 2x4gb hyperx 1866mhz(HX318C10F)(cheaper than 1600mhz).

I khow that my motherboard supports up to 1600mhz. but when plugging my new memories it will set to 1600mhz without problems?

Solution
If the PC can boot up the RAM (1866mhz) will run at 1600mhz. But when you mixed the different RAM, you may or may not have the compatibility problem.

Because you got the ram, just try them on to see what happens. And recommend to boot the PC with the old RAM ( 1600mhz) first, go to the BIOS memory section, make sure to disable the XMP profile ( check the MB manual 3-17), because you don't want to oc the RAM. Then shut down the PC, install the new RAM, boot the PC again. Hope you will not get the problem. If you have problem, remove the new RAM, clear the CMOS first, then back to the BIOS memory section, set up the XMP profile with 1600mhz to see you can mixed these RAM or not.

Manual...
If the PC can boot up the RAM (1866mhz) will run at 1600mhz. But when you mixed the different RAM, you may or may not have the compatibility problem.

Because you got the ram, just try them on to see what happens. And recommend to boot the PC with the old RAM ( 1600mhz) first, go to the BIOS memory section, make sure to disable the XMP profile ( check the MB manual 3-17), because you don't want to oc the RAM. Then shut down the PC, install the new RAM, boot the PC again. Hope you will not get the problem. If you have problem, remove the new RAM, clear the CMOS first, then back to the BIOS memory section, set up the XMP profile with 1600mhz to see you can mixed these RAM or not.

Manual https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B85M-E45#down-manual

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
I don't have the 1866mhz memories at hands yet. I bought it because was much cheaper than 1600mhz. Im taking the risk because is the same brand, both 1.5v and almost same timing.
My bios doenst have XMP profile because my memory uses PnP JEDEC TIMING PARAMETERS, right?
My current memory PnP timing is CL10-10-10 and the PnP timing for 1600mhz from the 1866mhz memory is CL9-10-9. If work it will run 10-10-10?
Sorry for any knowledge mistakes and for turn into a memory discution.

Those kind of combinations have no guarantee to work together. XMP profiles also are for memory in the form sold and not for other combinations you decide to make.

Your incomplete part numbers look like you are buying Single Modules. If so, Memory modules purchased as Single Modules have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as Single Modules.