MSI Built A Fancy Water Cooled Graphics Card To Celebrate Its Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memhorder

Distinguished

I give it between $7-800 US. That's over a grand here in Canada. The Sea Hawk is going for $1050 at the local shop. Maybe $900

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Now this is what you call a AIO GPU. a full water block with a good pump and fans. Not the cheap Asetek crap where it is just the GPU chip being cooled and then leaving all the other components to just be air cooled.

What is the real point of having it though. Yes I know water is a hell of a lot better at transferring heat away than air so you can then overclock more but is it really worth the extra 5 maybe 10fps?

Its like a £100 more pretty much than the standard GTX 1080's which are around £600-700 where I live. Isn't the standard GPU price already to much of a burn into a buyers pocket?

(And yes maybe the reason is just bragging rights)

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

No clue what the price is, but i did a quick search for the Sea Hawk EK X and I almost puked.
Newegg has them going for $1300+

Looks like a third party seller to me. "Joymall".

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back a few years, the MSI Gaming 4G 970 was $320ish. The green ME was closer to $420 and there was a supercharged Limited Edition Gold that was $1000+.
With the EK special edition rad, EK name, fancy backplate, custom EK block plus MSI's hardware cranked through the roof, I'd be surprised at a price tag lower than $1500.

I think it will be under the price of the new Titan Pascal.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I did not notice that.
Explains a lot.

I don't think the listings on NewEgg are this model. There are two listings for the same part. Both are the same part GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X but neither says 30th Anniversary. The 1st on from NewEgg listed at $809.99 and ships from NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127952

The other is $1,399.77 and is ordered thru NewEgg and shipped by JOYMALL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA73M4TF1955&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-9SIA73M4TF1955&gclid=CPur3rXykc8CFdKIfgod_jUNVA&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I'm not sure these are the same 30th Anniversary model since the top clock is less than what is posted for this model 1860 MHz / 1721 MHz (OC Mode). And they just don't look the same as this model.
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-30TH-ANNIVERSARY.html#hero-specification

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

They aren't the same model.
I pointed it out as an example of a card that is likely cheaper than the anniversary model.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not Newegg that's selling those for that price. That's one of their minion sellers like Outlet PC who are notorious for price gouging. I would like to think that Newegg has a better system of checks and balances than that.

The only thing I ever bought from Outlet PC were my four GTX 970s for $40. It's a shame I never got those :lol:

I love it! Their minion, lol!

I'm always amazed by the prices I see on Memory For Less, how can they use that name with a straight face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS