MSI Calls Out Gigabyte for "Not True PCIe 3.0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Either way i've never owned a gigabyte product, I've felt they're third tier products at a second tier price. I've been running an Asus board for years and it hasn't caused me problems yet!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
wow....this coming from a company with a laughable track record...

So, any actual proof of MSI's claims....or is all the "proof" supplied by MSI? Also, did anyone else notice that the pics show different motherboards? The first comparison shows the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3, while the 5th pic shows the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3....and on Gigabyte's website, there's no claim of PCIe 3.0 compatibility. In fact, for the GA-P67A-UD4-B3, Gigabyte actually states that all PCI Express slots conform to Gen2 specs....surprisingly enough, the same notice is posted on the spec page for the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3... So, exactly where is Gigabyte claiming these 2 boards support PCIe 3.0 when they list them as being PCIe Gen2 on the spec pages for both products? From what I can find, it seems MSI is simply grabbing at straws and using fraud as a marketing tool. Gotta love the purely false claim on the last page of their marketing scheme..."Only MSI Has True PCI Express GEN3"....so, I guess the PCIe3.0 controllers on newer ASRock boards are just a figment of my imagination....

So....where is this software that MSI used to "test" these slots and determine that Gigabyte is using PCIe Gen1 slots on the GA-P67A-UD4-B3... I'd like to publicly bitch slap MSI by proving the results are false.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
+1 to MSI for the giant "FAIL" stamp on the bottom of the last slide.

If you're gonna throw down with a competitor you gotta go all out and that's about as far you can go on a professional Power Point presentation.

Next up, all members of congress must where a FAIL stamp on their forehead imposed by the American People until they balance the national budget.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sounds like a Gigabyte employee...lmao.[/citation]
Actually it sounds like someone who has had every MSI board they've owned fail (like me!). Except they are a little more verbose about it.

I consider Gigabyte to be a solid choice for motherboards when you're on a budget ($50 mobos that don't suck!). If I have >$100 to spend on a mobo, then I'll look Asus. They're better, but with that comes extra cost.
Neither brands have failed on me, save for a 5 yr old Asus that I thoroughly abused and overclocked. Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted that long.

limogeas

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]+1 to MSI for the giant "FAIL" stamp on the bottom of the last slide.If you're gonna throw down with a competitor you gotta go all out and that's about as far you can go on a professional Power Point presentation.Next up, all members of congress must where a FAIL stamp on their forehead imposed by the American People until they balance the national budget.[/citation]

Got some benchmarks to show that they're wrong?

And... as far as we know, pcie 3 is still just an intel gimmick that won't amount to sh!t in the real world... i guess we'll find out sooner or later. Until all the pieces of the pcie 3 puzzle (cpu + board + gpu) come together, its wasted e-ink.

G

pwned power point style... like..... we need more whistle blowers to sound out all of the monkeys, not just in tech but globally.

dgingeri

Distinguished
What bothers me the most is that they show Gigabyte's boards stepping back to PCIe 1 when switching to dual x8 slot config. I took a look at my Asus board, and how the video cards connect, and they're connecting at PCIe 2 speeds. Stepping all the way back from PCIe 2 x16 to PCIe 1 x8 is a huge drop in bandwidth, and a lot of wasted resources.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]And... as far as we know, pcie 3 is still just an intel gimmick that won't amount to sh!t in the real world... i guess we'll find out sooner or later. Until all the pieces of the pcie 3 puzzle (cpu + board + gpu) come together, its wasted e-ink.[/citation]

What would be most useful would be having a bridge chip that would take the PCIe 3 x16 interface from the CPU and bridge it to 4 PCIe 2 x8 or 2 PCIe 2 x16 slots for CrossfireX or SLI 3 way capability without a major loss of performance.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I've been reading wikipedia & it had written that the ivy bridge & panther point chipsets will have native intel 3.0 support & there you have it! These new intel chipsets will not come out for another 6 to 7 months approximately.

Status
Not open for further replies.