MSI CEO Dishes on Intel Shortage, AMD Growth, Taking Share from Apple

levijonesm

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Great interview! Mr. Chiang was amazingly candid about their decision not to offer any AMD powered laptop / desktop (so far). And about the rest of the topics as well. It was an enjoyable read.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I find it interesting how he basically said that Intel's poor decision-making hurt sales for an entire year and will continue hurting it until the end of 2019, but he still doesn't want to use AMD because Intel "give us very good support." What kind of support is he talking about that makes up for almost two years worth of poor motherboard sales?

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I'm conflicted. On one hand I really appreciate the honesty and MSI scored some brownie points for that. On the other the reasons for not using AMD, including "relationships with intel" and it being "awkward to tell them that we're not going to use 100% Intel" sounded beyond wrong in my book. I know that those "relationships" with Intel are why the OEMs aren't using as much Ryzen as the performance, value and efficiency would logically dictate, but it's just so wrong.

Sep 20, 2018
Well looks like I wont be recommending any more MSI AM4 motherboards to friends and family and I did recommend few. This relationship remained me of the relationships Intel had durning Pentium 4 times, something is definitely fishy here.......

okay... not going with AMD is dumb... sooo dumb... what they are going to say when they release Ryzen 3...

Msi: "Ooops..."

It is obvious that Intel is behind and paying them to prevent AMD getting there. It was like that before and it is still the case right now...

WTH is wrong with the industry? They pay more for Intel and Nvidia, but the performances are not worthing that prenium.

As of now, the only thing I wanted was a super thin laptop with a great screen and good component for office work, with a 2700u/3700u... something like a surface or something that can play AAA games at 720p.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
i sure hope we're not witnessing a replay of 2000-2006 OEM pay-offs to block competition... just seem odd to anyone else that a company would shrug off potential sales & growth like this? how can anyone in the industry see AMD's Ryzen path, balanced against Intel's woes, and decide they don't want a slice of that pie?

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Something wrong on this planet. Looks like the IT departments (formerly known as janitors)took over. What was formerly a job collecting garbage and dumping it...the garbage is now kept and getting reprocessed and stored on site.

This stuff has so little to do with actual businessprocesses...the inmates are now running the asylum.

The industry (and Users) are a lot wiser these days to Intel's tricks. I'm confidant that nothing like the shenanigans in the early part of the century could happen again. Intel would pay much more dearly if they tried something like that again.

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
That also means that most Intel consumer desktop cpus are the garbage chips with scraped shut broken cores, caches etc. Better to go with Ryzen 8 cores and higher where everything is intact and thus priceworthy.

Jan 19, 2019
this is the problem with the industry and why we need these sites to call out this type of stupid thinking from a company. Losing money but wont use another brand that competing with Intel. Has to have agreements in place that gives them money to guard against these loses. I would not recommend or buy MSI products anymore or recommend them because they a part of the problem

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Okaaay ... so the guy is basically admitting that Intel is still potentially offering incentives to companies to not use AMD ...

Read between the lines ... why should he care if Intel is upset that he is selling more AMD parts if it has no impact on his business? It sounds like that Intel being "upset" impacts his relationship with Intel ... since MSI is making money on AMD, why in the hell should he care about this if there isn't some sort of incentive or punishment from Intel on this matter?

Like we need another reason to hate Intel, but my god, what a horrible company.

I currently have an MSI motherboard in my rig ... I think that'll be the last MSI part I ever buy.

Nov 14, 2018
It looks like all PC manufacturers are already bought for and paid by Intel according to this interview. AMD you need to create your own brand of high end laptops and crush all laptops using inferior Intel processors from these paid PC & laptop manufacturers. Consumers will notice AMD if they build their own high end laptop using 3rd generation Ryzen.

Tanyac

Reputable
RAM shortages. GPU Shortages, CPU shortages, and now Samsung have put the breaks on SSD Supply. You can't buy some 860/970 models at all, and those that are available have risen in price 20% in the last month. All those shortages, and now we are seeing the same with motherboards. Some high end motherboards are now exceeding $1000 AUD, or close to. Even budget boards have almost doubled in price.

I feel for MSI. Intel are doing a damn good job of trying to kill the desktop market. Now Samsung and others. I used to be able to build a good high end system for $3000 now it could cost me over $6000 for the same system.

Ooooh. I don't feel one bit sorry for MSI. Intel are doing a damn good job of trying to cut AMD out of the picture so they can once again "dominate" the market with their "slightly better every year" CPUs.
Everyone who is for a fair marketplace should be rooting for AMD - even if they don't buy their product. Look what has happened to Intel in just the 2 years since Ryzen came out.

No, MSI has made their bed and they must lie in it.

Basically, MSI PCB are top notch. If I need to buy another AMD motherboard, I will probably still go with them since I put ASUS, Asrcok, Gigabyte and EVGA on my blacklist already, but forget anything else.

I want a 3700u premium super thin laptop for office work and 720p AAA gaming with a great screen with Freesynch. It will not be with MSI obviously.

I'm sure MSI MB are good. I've heard lots of good things about them. That is not the issue here though.
I've been using ASUS motherboards for 15 years and never got a bad one. Rock solid.

Jan 19, 2019
Great article Avram. Well done. Easy to read, sets the tone and pace nicely to read what MSI is doing and the reasoning behind MSI's decisions. Even though I don't yet own an MSI product, I came to this article because of what they presented at CES and I admire their product presentation of making elegance and style more ubiquitous to the high-performance mobile laptops and even some nice workstation-level desktops. That got my attention when they introduced the creator / designer products this past year or so. And I will be eagerly awaiting their nVidia RTX* lineup in their laptops soon.

Again, great article for letting the little people like us join in on the coffee table like interview you had with Chiang.

Jan 19, 2019
Great article Avram. Well done. Easy to read, sets the tone and pace nicely to read what MSI is doing and the reasoning behind MSI's decisions. Even though I don't yet own an MSI product, I came to this article because of what they presented at CES and I admire their product presentation of making elegance and style more ubiquitous to the high-performance mobile laptops and even some nice workstation-level desktops. That got my attention when they introduced the creator / designer products this past year or so. And I will be eagerly awaiting their nVidia RTX* lineup in their laptops soon.

Again, great article for letting us little people join in on the coffee table like interview you had with Chiang.

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
keep that wagon hitched to Intel Chiang, see how that keeps working out. Apple's finding out, so will the rest, and they'll end up stuck with Intel or back of line at AMD.

bennie101

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
2 fold greed and a non use of AMD CPUS ...pROBABLY WHY i DONT USE msi JUST GREED HIGH END MONEY FROM HIGH END PARTS FROM INTEL. mAYBE THEY BEEN WARNED NOT TO USE amd IN THERE SYSTEMS not like intel hasnt done this before ..Also with intel you have to change motherboards just about every single upgrade. Unlike AMD ....

Jan 20, 2019
Take share from apple ? People who buy apple hardware don't even know WHAT MSI is. He is delusional and naive.

And he revealed his business relationship with Intel- one of subservience for cash. All of us who aren't intel groupies and fan boys already know how intel rents companies. Yes rent, not buy. Go to dell website and you see Intel logo everywhere. It is as though you were on Intel website not dell's ! However, Intel does not OWN dell so they must have rented them like a ho. And this applies to a lot of their "partners".

This is what AMD is up against. Is this an abuse of monopoly ? I think it is. If you are a monopoly, having exclusive agreements are illegal. Intel does have such agreements, even if they aren't explicitly written in their contracts. Also, intel inside isn't gone- its still there on all PCs that have intel and now its gotten far more sinister and deeper where even the OEM websites advertise, suggest, remind and admonish people to buy only intel.

MS also does this but much more subtly and less obtrusively. You see in small print, "HP recommends microsoft windows" wherever there is a choice of buying a PC without windows (which itself is rare). But then, even as a linux user of many years, let's face it- windows really doesn't have an alternative on the consumer side. But for CPUs and GPUs, there ARE real, viable choices.

Jan 20, 2019
On the one hand MSI is "small" and doesn't have resources to develop products around AMD. OTOH, they are making a killing off AMD motherboards ! Most MBs sell for around $100 and you have so many things to work around- power supplies, memory, I/O, PCI and so many things that actually change every 6 months. Yet he has enough R&D to pour into a $100 product refresh every 6 months but doesn't want to invest in $1000+ products where margins are higher and the design cycle is at least a year long.

Is he a liar or a hypocrite ?

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I'm VERY interested in AMD for laptops. A 7nm APU in a standard machine should give me everything I need and more.

If MSI doesn't break the chain and get into AMD laptops, they'll never sell one to me. I'm finished with Intel for the foreseeable future.