AMA MSI Comet Lake Z490 Motherboard AMA and Giveaway

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2020
Where is the Z490 Mobo (and your other components) manufactured?

Is it feasible to streamline and future proof your supply chain by expanding your manufacturing to the USA?

Note: building a new PC rig after a 10-years using Macs only. Bought the MSI MEG X570 Unify & MSI 1660ti. :)

May 15, 2020
Do you know what pc I could get that will run fortnite and that I can stream on to twitch with.
I have a budget of about £400! Is this possible ?

May 15, 2020
Would a laptop intel i7 CPU (im not aware of the exact gen of the CPU) work on a motherboard like this?
I'm almost 99% sure it would not. It's been almost 15 years since the CPU's of laptops were socketed. And your CPU would need to be Comet Lake architecture.

May 16, 2020
I have never won anything so my question is from legitimate curiosity. What would be the ideal setup with this motherboard such as processor and chassis. I'm looking into building my own with a low budget because of a fixed income I can only get parts at a slow pace but want decently results in game play.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Can't provide a comment on an unresolved partner matter, sorry.
If AMD sticks to it's stance on 4000 CPU support on 300 & 400 would MSI consider offering some sort of discount or trade in program for customers who bought MAX boards? I think this would be a great PR move since the marketing of the MAX boards said they would support all future AM4 CPU's.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, my question would be what do you see being the next big motherboard feature? not just a faster version of something that exists already but an entirely new feature, something we have never seen before

Reactions: quint256
May 16, 2020
Well, thanks for this very generous AMA session, I appreciate the team at MSI putting in time to answer questions!

I would like to know, and I feel that this could be a bit off-topic, but I am trying to decide between a Z490 + Core i7-10700KF and a X570 Ryzen 7 3800X. Ignoring the price discrepancy, the scales are slightly tipped in AMD's favor as their PCIe 4.0 with 20 lanes would be nice as I am wanting to have a capture card running on the system too (specifically an Elgato 4K60, however if anyone could help with this versus the Avermedia 4KLG, that would be nice) and Intel only provides 16 lanes of PCI3 3.0... However, the single and multi-core boost seem to be much, much higher and therefore better for gaming (assuming my GPU doesn't bottleneck it, as I'm looking at a 2070 Super (still trying to decide against the MSI version and the Founder's Edition one).

Thanks in advance, sorry for this inconvenience.
Edit: also, Intel's K chips have a OC add-on which gives a single replacement for a burnt chip.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019

Have a question about Comet Lake or the new MSI Z490 motherboards? Now's your chance to speak with MSI directly!

Hey there Toms' Hardware members! We're proud to announce another exciting AMA with the fine folks from MSI. With Comet Lake Z490 motherboards finally out in the wild, MSI wanted to touch base with the Tom's Hardware community and answer any questions regarding any new features and the platforms overclocking performance. We have the following guests from MSI joining us:

Mark Tran – MSI Marketing Manager for Components, @MSIsouleet

David Yee – MSI Marketing Associate Manager for Components, @MSIDavY

Jorge Meza – MSI Technical Marketing Associate, @MSI_GeoX

Manny Chang – MSI CND Marketing, @yellowcardyc

Check out the full list of features on the MSI Z490 landing page.

This thread will be unlocked, open and live for 48 hours starting at 12:00 p.m. noon PDT on Wednesday May 13th. Questions will be moderated and supervised by Tom’s Community Manager Staff, as well as our full team of Senior Moderators.

MSI System Starter Giveaway
To help us celebrate the AMA, we have a massive starter build bundle up for grabs, courtesy of MSI. One grand prize winner will receive the following set of components:

MSI Z490 Gaming EDGE WIFI Motherboard
Gungnir 100 Case
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X Graphics Card
MSI Optix MAG272CR Gaming Monitor

To enter all you have to do is comment on this thread with motherboard question for MSI. You can see complete instructions for how to enter on the giveaway widget, linked here.

The sweepstakes will run until May 29th. Please see the contest entry page for a full list of rules and ways to enter.

Ask Me Anything Rules

• No tech support questions, as these require in-depth personal follow-up and diagnostics.

• All Rules of Conduct apply.

• Keep questions direct and to the point.

• Avoid opinion bias, as in, "Why are all your products awesome/horrible?"

• Be respectful of our guests--no insults, no leading questions.

• Do not post duplicate questions or repost your question multiple times.

• Not all questions may be answered. Questions may not be answered in the order in which they are received or posted.

To reiterate: No opinion bias, insults, leading questions, or breaking the Rules of Conduct. Breaking these rules may result in a one-day ban.

Only registered users will be able to ask questions, so if you haven’t yet, be sure to register now for your chance to participate!

The official representatives will reply periodically over the time the AMA is active, using a recognized and verified account.

Please join us on this date to throw your questions into the mix and ask MSI what you've always wanted to ask!

What: Ask Me Anything with MSI

When: Wednesday, May 11th, 12pm PDT

Where: The Tom’s Hardware Forums!

Who: The MSI Motherboard Product Team
Can the GTX 1070 run SLI with the RTX?

Apr 14, 2020
Will we ever see a dragon themed GPU series?
Will MSI please consider making custom themed thumbscrews? I had to design mine myself and pay an engineer to make them.

May 16, 2020
Can the GTX 1070 run SLI with the RTX?
Ah, this one I know for a fact NO, the RTX bridge is different. Assuming you were to use the GTX SLI bridge, it would still fail as they are "different" graphics cards. Imagine that the GTX is a Radeon GPU for a moment.

May 17, 2020
What's the design process like to build new components? Like how does the challenge to innovate come across to the engineers finding new ways to build components better; where do they start usually? What's your / the general consensus favourite part of this process?

The freebie question (if the above is too much of an NDA type thing): What's your favourite part of what you do and how did you get in to building PC components?

creechra

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Anyone using the Optix monitor from this Starter Bundle giveaway with their current rig? Or previously used it? I'm wondering if it has noticeable ghosting in games like Modern Warfare.

AP1

May 17, 2020
Will the MSI B450 Tomahawk max support Ryzen 4000 CPUs ? And if not when will a B550 variant of the board be out ?
Thanks

Zephis

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Will MSI ever implement a feature where we can pay extra for certain things on the motherboard to be designed in alternate ways for more custom options, I'm sure it would cost a lot more though

May 17, 2020
How many FAN connectors does the mobo have? I'm looking forward to finally upgrade my 8 y/o pc and i really like to know a good budget/performace setup.

Name1284

Prominent
May 14, 2020
This new Z490 chipset will support Intel 10th gen Core processors such as the i9-10900K processor and should also support the generation of processors after these. Anything older will not be supported due to the chipset using a new LGA 1200 socket compared to the LGA 1151 socket from the last generations.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.