AMA MSI Comet Lake Z490 Motherboard AMA and Giveaway

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2020
I see that some of the motherboards have what appears to be PS/2 ports. Are those still really still "required" on professional motherboards in this day and age?

May 17, 2020
This may seem uninformed, cause it is, but have y'all considered going full retard and making a Mobo with baked in water-cooling? Like a massive Mobo&CPU block I think it'd be cool in like whiteout/frosty colors.

May 17, 2020
I'm a newbie PC buider and would like to know what kind of cooling you'd recommend for this new board. And also will there be a low-power mode? Thx

May 18, 2020
As I can check it supports LGA processor only, is it possible for manufacturer like you to make MB which support both LGA and PGA?

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018
What kind of features does the Comet Lake have that will contend with rival board manufacturers like Asrock and Asus?

Last edited:
May 18, 2020
Is it theoretically possible to put some RGB strips in and around the DRAM and PCI-E slots without having them melting ? And if yes, will we see that in the future ?

LyncIOO

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
Im kind of a newbie in pc building, but could u atleast explain me. Is the MSI MEG Z490 Godlike better than other same socket boards or far advanced. How does it compete with the others. Will it allow us to clock at higher, stable, cooler frequencies on long gaming sessions?

MSI_GeoX

Official Forum Representative
Mar 27, 2020
When do you think PCIe4 will be a major thing in terms of hardware using it?

Good question. It may become pretty prevalent in the coming years, usually this type of technology can take a couple years to grow into itself. We already have PCIe Gen 4 compatible SSDs in the market so that is great!

Will there be a micro ATX MB in the future?

We already do offer the MPG Z490M Gaming Edge WIFI motherboard which is Micro ATX form factor.

MSI_GeoX

Mar 27, 2020
Im kind of a newbie in pc building, but could u atleast explain me. Is the MSI MEG Z490 Godlike better than other same socket boards or far advanced. How does it compete with the others. Will it allow us to clock at higher, stable, cooler frequencies on long gaming sessions?

The MEG Z490 Godlike is top of the line when it comes to Z490 motherboards. It is chock full of features that make overclocking both RAM and CPU more stable allowing you to reach higher frequencies.

Reactions: LyncIOO

MSI_GeoX

Mar 27, 2020
What colors will MSI Comet Lake Z490 motherboard be available in?

Most of our motherboards come in a black carbon/grey general color scheme with RGB lighting accents.

Where is the Z490 Mobo (and your other components) manufactured?

Is it feasible to streamline and future proof your supply chain by expanding your manufacturing to the USA?

Note: building a new PC rig after a 10-years using Macs only. Bought the MSI MEG X570 Unify & MSI 1660ti. :)

Expanding motherboard manufacturing to the US can get a little tricky due to a number of reasons. I do not see it being feasible in the near future.

is it possible that z490 will have usb 4.0 and wifi 6? or is that on future boards?

Our Z490 chipset motherboard can already feature up to USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps ports, however all of our WIFI enabled Z490 motherboards have built-in WIFI 6 compatibility.

Would a laptop intel i7 CPU (im not aware of the exact gen of the CPU) work on a motherboard like this?

This new Z490 chipset will support Intel 10th gen Core processors such as the i9-10900K processor and should also support the generation of processors after these. Anything older will not be supported due to the chipset using a new LGA 1200 socket compared to the LGA 1151 socket from the last generations.

How many FAN connectors does the mobo have? I'm looking forward to finally upgrade my 8 y/o pc and i really like to know a good budget/performace setup.

The number of Fan connectors available will depend per motherboard model. For example, the MAG Z490 Tomahawk has 6 case fan headers, while the MEG Z490 Godlike has 8 case fan headers.

Reactions: Doggo2016

MSI_GeoX

Mar 27, 2020
Do you expect your AMD motherboards or intel motherboards to get more attention? people recently started building AMD-based systems instead of intel's

It is hard to say, though we hope they all receive a great amount of attention! :)

When can we expect the answer for the meaning of life with this new board?

Most of our motherboards feature two 7 segment debug displays for troubleshooting and temperature readout. Keep an eye out for when the temperature readout says "42".

Do you guys Plan on doing a high end motherboard without RGB? Just Simple and plane Black.

We have and we already do! Check out our MEG Z490 Unify motherboard, it is exactly what you are looking for.

I understand the need for having multiple USB ports, but what exactly is the benefit of having a USB 3.2 Type-C port?

USB 3.2 Type-C port allows for more bandwidth than a more conventional USB port, meaning faster transfer speeds. The best part is that you don't need to flip your USB drive around multiple times for it to fit into the connector!

This may seem uninformed, cause it is, but have y'all considered going full retard and making a Mobo with baked in water-cooling? Like a massive Mobo&CPU block I think it'd be cool in like whiteout/frosty colors.

We have thought about it and it is a possibility, but for the time being we are working with other manufacturers like EK for water block compatibility for our motherboards.

I see that some of the motherboards have what appears to be PS/2 ports. Are those still really still "required" on professional motherboards in this day and age?

You'd be surprised by how many professional instrumentation still require a PS/2 connection, so yes it is still a requirement for some people.

Is it theoretically possible to put some RGB strips in and around the DRAM and PCI-E slots without having them melting ? And if yes, will we see that in the future ?

It is possible, but there could be complications that arise due to how the DRAM tracing needs to be routed. Introducing additional electrical signals in that area may not be very ideal as it may interfere with the performance and stability of RAM potentially. Maybe we might see it in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.