MSI Cooking Up A Baker's Dozen Z370 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Instead of making so many different Z370 motherboards, they should have been trying to make the Z370 motherboards backwards compatible with the Z270 and Z170 motherboards. That would get them more sales.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Both Intel and Motherboard manufacturers depend on yearly profits. They can't do that if they make motherboards backwards compatible for 3 or even 2 years. HEDT usually does 2 CPU's but in the consumer products (like coffee lake) your gonna get a new board everytime. Greedy corporations dude. They are even charging for NVME RAID support on x299. That's not going so well for them tho, their skylake x parts aren't selling well.

SteveRNG

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
What enthusiasts fail to recognized is that the vast majority if computers are NOT rebuilt; ever. So you can complain that companies are being greedy when in fact they are being cost effective and almost the entirety of our world doesn't care because it doesn't affect them.

I would estimate [wild ass guess, no research] that 99% of all PCs and Laptops are never upgraded, but replaced (think Corporations, Universities, your slack-jawed relatives who still want to you to "install the internet"). The people who actually build their own computers make up about 1% of that (again, Wild-ass guess). And of those, they are not swapping in new CPUs every year or two. I used to upgrade my CPU(and Mobo and RAM) every three years. Now, I've waited over five years because they are actually good enough for that long. So when I get around to upgrading my Core i5-3570K, I won't care that Intel has changed architecture 3-5 times. Next year (I hope) I will use the wonderful resources at websites likes this to choose a Z270 and matching CPU or a Z370 based on my needs and finances. And I won't care if Intel flips things in another year because a) it is unlikely that something will die in that time and b) if it does, I can replace it with the same component because they are still available.

Of course, I realize this is an enthusiast website and we love our computers and upgrading them. But us complaining about what Intel is doing is like yacht owners complaining that their 1 year old Yacht doesn't have room for the 88" in TV; only an 85" TV. It's a valid complaint, it's not cost effective to give a... fig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS