Question MSI CPU red light after upgrading my PC

Jul 20, 2020
I have a B450M Mortar Max motherboard.
My CPU before is Ryzen 3 2200g. Its slow so I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2060 Super for an upgrade.

After removing the 2200g and putting the 3600. When I start my PC, CPU redlight shows up on the MSI debug light. Fans and RGB and turning on. But the PC wont post. I cant get into BIOS mode too, no display on monitor(HDMI plugged on GPU).

I have done a lot of methods to resolve this issue:
  • Reseated the RAM sticks
  • Trying one RAM stick, still didnt boot.
  • Checked for bent pins
  • Removed restart SW jumper
  • Reseated CMOS battery. Shorted JBAT1 to clear CMOS.
  • Reapplied thermal paste couple of times
  • Removed the 3600 and went back to 2200g, to see if the 3600 is the problem. CPU redlight still shows up!
  • Went to Flash BIOS update mode, removed the CPU, GPU and RAM (using a USB flash drive) CPU redlight still shows up.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
My bad, actually the word MAX in the MSI MB Name says it's Zen 2 ready. Try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. I think you did this, but I'd try one more time. These kind of problems are so darn frustrating!

Jul 18, 2020
I really cant. CPU redlight is all I get. Mouse and keyboard doesnt light up too. No display on the monitor. I plugged the HDMI cable on both motherboard side and GPU. I also tried booting up the 2200g without the gpu.
so there is an update for the mobo thats was realese on my birthday lol so intalling it might fix it but first put back the old cpu and do a clear cmos then go dowload the update : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX

Jul 20, 2020
so there is an update for the mobo thats was realese on my birthday lol so intalling it might fix it but first put back the old cpu and do a clear cmos then go dowload the update : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX
I still cant go to the Flash Bios mode.
I plugged the USB drive(Fat32), pressed the Flash Bios mode, and the CPU redlight shows up. I am sure that i have plugged the USB drive on the Flash BIOS slot.
I tried to remove all the components on the motherboard. Now only the 24pin and 8pin is connected, CPU redlight still shows up.

Jul 20, 2020
and still no post? is the red led still on ?
Yes, CPU led still on.

- I downloaded latest BIOS drivers, placed it on 64GB USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. I inserted it to the Flash BIOS slot. Then I pressed the Flash BIOS button. Red LED lights beside the Flash BIOS button should light up, but it didn't. Instead, the CPU debug light showed up.

- I removed the CMOS battery, waited for 10mins then plugged in back. I made sure that the powersupply is fully unplugged. I also tried shorting the JBAT1 to clear the CMOS. I tried this on both 2200g and 3600 without luck.

Jul 18, 2020
Yes, CPU led still on.

- I downloaded latest BIOS drivers, placed it on 64GB USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. I inserted it to the Flash BIOS slot. Then I pressed the Flash BIOS button. Red LED lights beside the Flash BIOS button should light up, but it didn't. Instead, the CPU debug light showed up.

- I removed the CMOS battery, waited for 10mins then plugged in back. I made sure that the powersupply is fully unplugged. I also tried shorting the JBAT1 to clear the CMOS. I tried this on both 2200g and 3600 without luck.
Did you unplug the ethernet cable? Because it does provide enough power to keep the mobo config