MSI Debuts AMD 990FXA GAMING Motherboard With USB 3.1 and NVMe Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a move in the right direction, for sure... but I don't necessarily think it's worth to me personally in swapping out my perfectly functioning 990FX GD-65v2 for this. Besides, I prefer the blue/black color scheme.

Be nice if the new FX processors released to this socket chipset, and also to a new chipset with new tech and ddr4 support.

Exactly this. It's a great board, but if I'm going to toss out my 990FX Sabertooth, I may as well get an Intel board at this point and get all the later features.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
@alec/TNT

I hope they don't. AMD did that when they refreshed architectures often. As it sets now 9** chipsets are 4 years old. AMD shouldn't waste resources on engineering backwards compatibility when they really need something to knock Intel down a few pegs.

InvalidError

Titan

The last time I saw an AMD roadmap, all of their future desktop CPUs/APUs for 2016 were headed to socket-FM3+. AM3(+), its chipsets and CPUs are end-of-line.

G

A new AM3+ socket motherboard? They haven't made a new AM3+ cpu in years, unless you count better binning as innovation. Unless your current motherboard dies, and you're on a tight budget, can't afford new motherboard + new cpu, it's ridiculous to buy this right now.

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Somebody make a uATX version of a 990 chipset MoBo (with enough VRM phases and heatsinks for reliable overclocking) please! An ITX setup would also be fine.
I don't want to build any more hulking-great tower systems (the apartment'll no take it!).

CraigN

Distinguished

The Fiji chips they were announcing earlier this week for 2016 mentioned FX processors with an AM4 socket and DDR4.

TNT27

Distinguished

Yes, but theres also a new fx revision coming to am3+ soon too.

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
I was hoping all USB 3.1 would be type C ONLY. The sight of a 3.1 type A port is devastatingly terrible. There's no reason for any other connector besides legacy support. This is depressing to see.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Other than the USB 3.1, everything else is software that they could easily port over to their older boards if they weren't being so greedy.

While a decent board, it will fail horrible as it is being released at a time when a new socket has been announced (AM4), in addition to the platform being largely dead. There are no new chips coming out that will offer any kind of performance gain that will be worth putting anymore money into the AM3 platform.

USB 3.1 can be added via PCI express.

Someone already using AM3, will likely be better off putting that money into moving towards an intel motherboard and a decent core i5 CPU.

AMD doesn't refresh their architecture because they don't improve on it. You can't get blood from a stone. There is nothing AMD can do on 990FX that will outperform Intel at this point. Intel is already on DDR4.

chrissy4605

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
AMD has a hard row to hoe. First they have to equal Intel. Only then can they move ahead in that game. AM4 is worth waiting for as is DDR4. Then hopefully DDR4 will fall quickly to DDR5 witch already exists in the GDDR5 world. In fact if they were smart about it they would bypass DDR5 and move straight to DDR6.

Status
Not open for further replies.