MSI Details Trade War's Impact on RTX 20-Series Prices, Availability

venym

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
So in answer to the headline, NONE, no impact on the price or availability of the 20-series. All due to die size and low yields. Fake News at it again.

Samuel White

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Tom's been going downhill fast recently with all the fake news. The "Just Buy It" RTX post when the cards were announced to influence people to buy something they 100% do not need unless their already 1080 series is slow. Now this Fake News post about how the "trade war" is affecting the sales when its not and its just people not paying $1000 for something they do not need when its only a 20-30% boost at the best. Shame, Shame on your Tom.

I wouldn't call this "Fake News" as I see no questionable information here. However, the title is very "Clickbait" as I was expecting there to be a negative impact. However, part of that was due to an assumption I made, that tariff's on Chinese goods would create an impact.

venym

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
The problem is those that suffer from TDS will read the headline and not need to dig deeper to reinforce their distorted world view. In today's sound bite day and age it is easy for someone to read a headline that states that MSI will explain how the "trade war" is affecting production and not need to actually read the article. Basically the headline is a lie of implication.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
The saddest part is I'm sure they wish the China / US trade 'Negotiations' not WAR, would negatively impact the price in the worst way. "The end justifies the means"

Aug 2, 2018
Liao also stated that AMD's processors are produced in the Middle East, so are also in a safe zone for now.

How is this true in anyways ? Middle eastern countries cant produce anything on their own nor have any research and development at all .. they cant produce CPUs at all . They dont even have the technology to do it.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

Huh? You do realize Intel does their research, development and manufacturing in Israel, which is a middle eastern country? That's also where their best architectures were created (the "Core" architecture, then Sandy and Ivy Bridge) and where they're working on the successor to the Core architecture. Intel's largest performance jumps in terms of architecture happened almost solely thanks to the Israeli R&D.

GlobalFoundries, which manufactures the Ryzen processors, has its most modern fabs in Abu Dhabi. Now, normally the comment of "major region X can't produce that tech" would be not only ignorant but in this case, the government of Abu Dhabi actually owns GlobalFoundries. There are areas of the middle east that have little to none chip-making talent, and there are also those where there's a lot of world-leading talent.

To answer to the other comment, the article is not fake news in any way. I was curious myself, but the article makes it clear that there's little to none Chinese components that go into the making of those cards (dodged a bullet since the US does not consider Taiwan to be part of China) so tariffs do not affect them.

Ben Pottinger

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Taiwan does not consider Taiwan to be part of China. Its only China and places they have successfully bullied that consider it part of China. Its not allowed a seat in the UN even though its the 22nd richest nation in the world and scores very high marks in human rights, education, and general freedom. China fails pretty hard on two of those.

China is a much richer, smarter, and more resource rich USSR. It worries me far more then Russia does in regards to global stability.

Aug 2, 2018

meh , just bags full of oil buying companies. shame on the whole world selling out their hard work to idiot rich ignorants in the middle east.

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
so go GREY market on eBay if you gotta....there is no barrier there.
I think a user like DAYDREAM studios and other CGI studios might actually need cards like that.

If they don't read the article or even the headline correctly it isn't Tom's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslcnw-9KbI

WHY WON'T IT READ?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No, what they actually said was that the main cost items weren't affected. They didn't say there was zero impact, but it didn't sound like there should be much.

When I was flipping through Google News some weeks back, I noticed that a top featured technology story on their main page was titled "Just Buy It: Why Nvidia RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money". Anyone just flipping through an aggregate news site like that might see the headline and get the impression that the tech press in general considered Nvidia's upcoming cards to be must-buy items. Now certainly, they could have expanded the "Read More" link and seen a number of other articles questioning the value of the cards, and read through a number of them to get a better view on the situation, but not everyone has the time to read further into every headline they see, so they will naturally be influenced by headlines for articles they don't read. Because of that, it can be irresponsible to make click-bait titles that imply things that aren't really supported by evidence.

Of course, I consider Google News (and aggregate news sites in general) to be a mess anyway, with some of the most biased and click-bait articles often tending to find their way to the surface. And with a somewhat recent redesign, they now only show the top result for most topics on their main page, instead of featuring several headlines for each topic as they once did. People really need to read between the lines and take news headlines (and the articles themselves) with a grain of salt, and I get the impression that many do not.

MSI also mentioned that the RTX 2080 Ti will receive the luxurious Lighting treatment. Apart from pursuing the best overclocking performance humanly possible, the RTX 2080 Ti Lighting will also come with revamped aesthetics and customizable RGB lighting. MSI didn't disclose the RTX 2080 Ti Lighting's price tag, but the company did confirm that it will be available very soon.
I also think at least some of that "lighting" is intended to be "lightning". : P