MSI Displays Its Z87 Motherboard Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]all these z87 boards with their extra USB 3.0 ports. if only they'll be function by the time these boards hit the market...[/citation]

Dude. They function, only thing that it glitches out on is when a PC goes into sleep mode and then "wakes" again, the device needs to be removed and reattached. Don't be such a sensationalist.

I found this article a difficult read... Almost like it is very badly written. Could just be me though. Anyone else agree?
"Having already revealed its Z77 motherboards"???
"looks like something from 20 years with its defaced chips"???
That just reads wrong.

It's just a prototype, nevermind the ugly yellow PCB or the craptacular heatsinks on the chipset and VRMs. They seem to have a heck of a lot of chokes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see rather extravagant heatsinks as well.

The "mystery connector" next to the 24-pin ATX plug looks like voltage check points.

not trying to be, but at least for me, they're as good as non-functional until they fixed the glitch. I currently have five backup/data drives, and a few USB hubs connected to my USB 3.0 ports, and I sure as hell am not dealing with everything disconnecting every time my computer goes to sleep.

you have to keep in mind that these ports are on the mobo's I/O panel, which the vast majority of people keep in the back of their computer. now I honestly don't see anyone happy about having to climb back there everytime their computer goes to sleep.

Of course, I'm not trying to be over dramatic either. I'm fairly confident Intel will get everything sorted out sooner or later, but it's not like Intel has never screwed up a launch so I'm going to wait and see what happens that's all

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Two 8-Pin connectors for the CPU keep showing up. Man oh man, either the socket is going to support up the the highest line of CPU, or the headroom for overclocking is going to be through the roof!

Also, I'm thinking the engineers did this to distribute currents across the rails better in order to improve efficiency (since higher currents = higher losses thermodynamically)

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Two 8-pin connectors for cpu?? What the.....[/citation]
inb4 "Oh anyone upgrading to the newest line needs to buy a new power supply as well". Of course, final product i wouldnt think will have 2. this is just a prototype afterall.

I see where your coming from. My PC never sleeps, its either of or on(more likely on). LOL so I can't relate.

I agree. There is no chance that a Haswel chip will need THAT much power. Not even SB-E needs that much.

Setting aside the extra connectors, I'm a little annoyed to see another board with the long slots in positions 2, 5, and 7. If I was going to set up air-cooled 3-way sli/xf, I'd want to put the cards in positions 1, 4, and 7, so that none of them are restricting airflow for the others.

Yep, there are. They are VERY expensive though. Mostly they are server oriented though.
But even if there were not. This would not be the first time this sort of thing has cropped up.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]Dude. They function, only thing that it glitches out on is when a PC goes into sleep mode and then "wakes" again, the device needs to be removed and reattached. Don't be such a sensationalist.[/citation]
I hope you enjoy getting on your hands and knees and reattaching things constantly.

prettyplease99

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I wish motherboards were available in a range of colours. I hate having to buy a motherboard that looks horrible in my computer or sacrifice features to get one that looks good.

Read my previous reply...

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I believe it's for the onboard VRM that Haswell incorporates. It needs more juice to work effectively in the current design. Overclocking is a secondary effort for Intel in this generation, its now far more focused on power efficiency and finding a lower TDP for the Core architecture. The real gains will start with Broadwell.

[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]They should of upgraded to DDR5 quad channel Memory. I guess their not done milking the DDR3 memory just yet............[/citation]

I seriously hope you are trolling.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]They should of upgraded to DDR5 quad channel Memory. I guess their not done milking the DDR3 memory just yet............[/citation]

You must be some console noob. DDR4 isn't even out yet and you are demanding DDR5?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I find the HDMI ports and DisplayPort on this useless. Anyone who buys this board for its "Intel Integrated Graphics" will not have a monitor capable of using either cable type.

Status
Not open for further replies.