Question MSI EZ-Debug CPU light on

Jan 5, 2022
SYSTEM:
CPU R5 5600x
MSI B550 pro a
Graphics card gtx 970
Power supply Corsair RMx 650W 80 PLUS gold

Bought the PSU, mobo, and CPU from Newegg. Built the system in December and was working fine until now. The PC would start-up but the display would not work.

So I've read through the past CPU debug issues and tried pretty much everything from popping out the CMOS battery to reseating the CPU. After trying out many solutions I think the problem is the power supply I have. Reason being that I used my old PC's power supply and connected those cables into my new pc and it posted and worked. I tried using the new PSU on my old PC and it would work using the CPU power cable and mobo power cable but if I plugged in two extra SATA cables in the existing SSD and HDD it would power off. Seems like the power supply is faulty in some way if it would not power my CPU in the first place.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at the time of writing? I'm assuming you migrated your storage drive from your older platform? If so, did you reinstall the OS? Make and model of your old PSU and it's age? Considering that the unit listed above is a modular unit, are you using cables that didn't come bundled with the PSU?

Jan 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at the time of writing? I'm assuming you migrated your storage drive from your older platform? If so, did you reinstall the OS? Make and model of your old PSU and it's age? Considering that the unit listed above is a modular unit, are you using cables that didn't come bundled with the PSU?

Bios version is E7C56AMS.A50
So to clarify I'm still using the new system I built in December and it has an SSD and HDD. The SSD has the OS on it so I did not need to do anything other than replacing the power supply. The PC was working but didn't turn on randomly after a night of gaming. After troubleshooting I think it's safe to say it's not the CPU or the GPU (tried the GPU in my old build and it definitely works, the CPU works since I can boot it right now. Each power supply is using its own cables that they came with.
The old PSU that is being used to power my build rn is EVGA Supernova 750 B2 and it's about 7 yrs old. I'm looking to return the corsair RMx650 through Newegg and hopefully get a replacement.

I think after receiving the new replacement I'll know whether it was the PSU or something else.