[SOLVED] MSI EZ Debug LED : CPU-LED lit up -> Possible Faulty RAM?

Oct 9, 2020
My new build is a Ryzen 5 3600 on a B450 Tomahawk Max, G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz [F4-3200C16D-16GVKB] , Radeon RX 550 4GB , Corsair TX750, Kingston A400 480GB SATA 3 SSD.

On the first attempt it couldn't boot, no display but the fans were ok. Strangely EZ Debug CPU-LED light on. My first thought is to update BIOS to the latest version because maybe the mobo does not meet the processor. So i did flash it and try to boot again, nothing. Consecutively i performed the POST test as described here (https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_No_Display) , i find out that if i didn't attach a specific dimm , i could boot with the other one. EZ Debug LEDs switched on and off one after an other (CPU->DRAM->VGA->BOOT) until they are all off. Of course i tried with the "faulty" one, so i was sure i couldn't boot with that.

My question : Is it a faulty RAM Module for sure? In that case, why the DRAM-LED didn't light on instead of the CPU-LED?

Solution
I do not know (full disclosure) why the CPU-LED is lit versus the DRAM-LED.

However, I suggest that you clear CMOS and then "do-over" your installation configuration settings.

Referencing Pages, 37, 41, and 92 to start with.

General thought being that the configuration settings are not as they should be and boot up fails.

Be sure to check that all installed components are fully and firmly in place.

New builds can be difficult to seat and no one wants to force anything into place.

Use a bright flashlight to take a close look at all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers. Look in the applicable slots/ports for debris and/or signs of damage.
Oct 9, 2020
Is your RAM a kit?

I.e., 2 x 8GB matched for dual channel?

Or 2 x 16GB being:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14179760-3...es-ddr4-3200-desktop-memory-108-free-shipping

How much memory is being shown when the system successfully boots?
Yes it is a RAM kit 2x8, installed properly in dual channel.
As i mentioned with both of them it cannot even boot , cannot get into the BIOS menu and the cpu-led is on. The same happens if i use only one of them(i assume the faulty one) in DIMMA2.
That does not occur when i use the other module only. Boots normally and show 8GB RAM as it should.

Oct 9, 2020
How did you install the RAM modules - what slots and in what order?

Reference:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1466780/Msi-B450-A-Pro.html?page=28#manual

Per the manual did you start with DIMMA2?

Use the Manual to doublecheck the overall system hardware installation and configuration,

[Do verify that I identified the correct manual for your motherboard.]
DIMMA2+DIMMB2 or if i use only one DIMMA2 . But if my problem is about RAM, why this mobo doesn't lit on the DRAM-LED but the CPU-LED?

Ralston18

Titan
I do not know (full disclosure) why the CPU-LED is lit versus the DRAM-LED.

However, I suggest that you clear CMOS and then "do-over" your installation configuration settings.

Referencing Pages, 37, 41, and 92 to start with.

General thought being that the configuration settings are not as they should be and boot up fails.

Be sure to check that all installed components are fully and firmly in place.

New builds can be difficult to seat and no one wants to force anything into place.

Use a bright flashlight to take a close look at all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers. Look in the applicable slots/ports for debris and/or signs of damage.

Solution