MSI G-Series Gaming Motherboard to Pack High-Polling USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
high polling usb ports dont really affect your gaming performance much if any. just like how people have 8200 dpi mice but never use more than 3000dpi.

and if you are talking about gold content, id suggest you have more gold content in the CPU socket. my cousin had one of their boards and it failed from oxidation . also, improve your vrm components. that should be your main focus

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the polling rate of a USB port is determined by the device and software, up to a limit of around 7.5 billion Hz (depending on available bandwidth) (large packets of data will obviously lower your max polling rate)

Also you cannot really force a higher polling rate out of a device since the max possible polling rate is really limited by the USB devices processing ability. (that laser sensor or optical sensor can only update so fast, and the mouse or keyboard can only process the data from it's key pad or sensor so fast.

that is why you will see logitech marketing products such as the Logitech G700 with a 1000hz polling rate.

the only good thing that is not marketing BS is the gold plating which which can make the part last longer (more physical connects and disconnects)

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]high polling usb ports dont really affect your gaming performance much if any. just like how people have 8200 dpi mice but never use more than 3000dpi.and if you are talking about gold content, id suggest you have more gold content in the CPU socket. my cousin had one of their boards and it failed from oxidation . also, improve your vrm components. that should be your main focus[/citation]I have never heard of a CPU socket failing due to oxidation. I can't see it, unless someone spilled something in there, got paste in it, etc. Anyway even if you did get a little oxidation, putting a CPU in the socket and throwing the lever a few times would probably be enough to make good contact. If not, some electrical connector cleaner.

Anyway, if you think 8ms input delay is OK (default USB polling rate is 125hz and MOST mice/drivers don't alter this) then great for you. Would you like an 8ms monitor to game on too, when better models are out there? I guess that's good for Farmville, combined with the free Dell optical mouse! :D I wouldn't say that high polling rates, and things like high-end mice and keyboards, don't affect the gaming experience.

Now with that said, most modern systems can handle rates of at least 250Hz+ without needing anything special (although your mouse and drivers have to play along nicely too). But having some gaming boards available that are factory guaranteed for high rates (1000Hz) with long-term reliability is not necessarily a bad thing, either.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
500Hz and 1000Hz polling rates can be obtained either by USB hardware/drivers or mouse (and keyboard) hardware/drivers.

Also, polling rate is different from delay. Just because it's checking for change every 8ms, doesn't exactly mean there is 8ms delay between every instance of changed position. If the change in position happened less than 1ms before the mouse is checked for positional changes, then the delay in that instance is less than 1ms. The actual result probably feels more like a 4ms delay and definitely more choppiness in the mouse's movement. It is very detectable and noticeable right away if you're at all serious about FPS gaming.

Seems to me like this motherboard's USB ports will force 500Hz or 1000Hz polling via the USB ports themselves without any special mouse drivers or USB hacks. Please correct me if that is wrong. In Windows 7 and previous versions, you could force a USB port to do the same thing, but it's kind of hacky. That method doesn't exist (yet) for Windows 8 (that I know of). So if you're in Windows 8 or if you don't want to use hacky unsigned drivers, you either need a mouse that can do higher polling rates with it's hardware/drivers, or you need a motherboard with one of these high polling ports. Not a huge audience will be effected by that feature since most hard core gamers don't care about hacky drivers, don't use Windows 8, and/or already have a nice gaming mouse with adjustable polling rates.

Now USB3 gaming mice without polling rates might be the next big thing in gaming mice. Though just like DPI above 2000 didn't change the game much, getting rid of polling might not make a huge difference when polling rates are 1000Hz. We shall see.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
3x gold plating? This doesn't mean a thing to me, because all it is, is a marketing gimmick. What's the REAL value in µ inch, please?

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
So the only real selling points here are the waste-of-money Killer NIC (which has already been proven in benchmarks to make an almost unnoticeable difference in latency compared to modern onboard networking) and an increased polling rate which only matters if you happen to use a device which supports an equally high polling rate (which are almost no devices unless you install custom drivers or tweak your own), and even if you've got one the difference is still just not noticeable in any real play unless you play music games like Beatmania with incredibly strict timing. 125 mhz is more than we'll ever need as it is, as an input device rate for games.

Sounds like MSI is just pulling an Apple and marketing to the gamers with coin but no knowledge of what they're buying. All marketing BS. Works for Apple though so who could blame them?

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
To many of the people claiming "nobody will notice, its a marketing gimmick"
There are many articles (written over a decade ago) that go into VERY specific detail about latency/polling rate/hz. In a FPS the average gamer WILL be able to notice going from 100hz to 1000hz. On a non time dependent style of game its hardly noticeable.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]the polling rate of a USB port is determined by the device and software, up to a limit of around 7.5 billion Hz (depending on available bandwidth) (large packets of data will obviously lower your max polling rate)Also you cannot really force a higher polling rate out of a device since the max possible polling rate is really limited by the USB devices processing ability. (that laser sensor or optical sensor can only update so fast, and the mouse or keyboard can only process the data from it's key pad or sensor so fast.that is why you will see logitech marketing products such as the Logitech G700 with a 1000hz polling rate.the only good thing that is not marketing BS is the gold plating which which can make the part last longer (more physical connects and disconnects)[/citation]

[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]To many of the people claiming "nobody will notice, its a marketing gimmick"There are many articles (written over a decade ago) that go into VERY specific detail about latency/polling rate/hz. In a FPS the average gamer WILL be able to notice going from 100hz to 1000hz. On a non time dependent style of game its hardly noticeable.[/citation]

Yes... it's a gimmick.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Yes... it's a gimmick.[/citation]
Gold plating is, lower latency is NOT. Unless you like going back to the OOOLLDDD TN panel LCD's with like 24ms response time. Oh but that's a gimmick right?

Status
Not open for further replies.