Question Msi Game Boost? Permanent Damage?

Aug 25, 2020
So this all started with a feature my MSI MEG ACE x570 came with called Game Boost.. a built in dial on my motherboard that goes from 0 to 11. At 0 it is at 3800mhz at 11 my ryzen 3900x operates at 4400 mhz however it seemed like my cores were heating up too much and I was getting crashes so I turned it off however once I turned it off my computer will not boot to the windows screen instead it tries to boot windows but then crashes and bootloops. The reason I turned it off was because I was getting random crashes. Now I can't use my computer unless I turn it to at least 1 on the game boost and I get random crashes usually 10-30 minutes crash. So I went into the bio and manually set the
core voltage to 1.4 and was able to disable gameboost however now I get random crashing anywhere from 30min to a couple hours. So I set the voltage back to auto and turned off performance core boost so now I am not making enought use of my chip because it stays at a constant 3775mhz however it does not crash anymore at all so. I've narrowed it down to a couple issues.. My motherboard or my CPU. I have flashed the bios to the latest and reset the cmos with no luck getting the system to operate without randomly crashing any thoughts on what I should do about this issue? I reinstalled windows I scraped and reapplied after market thermal paste I reseated the graphics card and ram slots. Starting to think my motherboard is damaged or my cpu.

So this all started with a feature my MSI MEG ACE x570 came with called Game Boost.. a built in dial on my motherboard that goes from 0 to 11. At 0 it is at 3800mhz at 11 my ryzen 3900x operates at 4400 mhz however it seemed like my cores were heating up too much and I was getting crashes so I turned it off however once I turned it off my computer will not boot to the windows screen instead it tries to boot windows but then crashes and bootloops. The reason I turned it off was because I was getting random crashes. Now I can't use my computer unless I turn it to at least 1 on the game boost and I get random crashes usually 10-30 minutes crash. So I went into the bio and manually set the
core voltage to 1.4 and was able to disable gameboost however now I get random crashing anywhere from 30min to a couple hours. So I set the voltage back to auto and turned off performance core boost so now I am not making enought use of my chip because it stays at a constant 3775mhz however it does not crash anymore at all so. I've narrowed it down to a couple issues.. My motherboard or my CPU. I have flashed the bios to the latest and reset the cmos with no luck getting the system to operate without randomly crashing any thoughts on what I should do about this issue? I reinstalled windows I scraped and reapplied after market thermal paste I reseated the graphics card and ram slots. Starting to think my motherboard is damaged or my cpu.

Ive had some issues with game boost in the past. I disabled it all together and did a manual oc which works flawlessly. I will say however, on my r5 2600, gameboost had no issues at all. As soon as I updated my bios to accept 3000 series chips, my pc wouldnt come out of sleep mode with GB enabled on the 2600, but worked on my 3800x, somewhat. I still had some issues with crashing as well.

Game boost is for people who dont know how to oc.

Try to manually set your cpu to an all core 4.2ghz and see what happens, you can even try to manually set it to the 4.4 and see what happens. I bet it doesnt crash. Somethings wrong with gameboost.

This is assuming its not a thermal issue and you have adequet cooling to be overclocking the cpu at all.

I would run some stress tests and monitor temps when oc'ing to make sure its not just a temp issue causing the crashes.