Msi gaming 5 z97 9C post-code

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Hello,

I have a Msi gaming 5 z97 mobo that has been having some issues with the boot. It either boots at code A2 and proceeds to the desktop, or 9C and does nothing at all and requires a reboot.

I recently found a forum with the same issue, and they also had a Corsair H100I V2 connected with the Corsair Link connected in the USB 2.0 on the motherboard. I tried removing that and it did not change. I also checked my boot option and it's set to UEIF+Legacy and the boot order starts with me SSD. I do have a wireless headset usb connected to the computer, but the issue was there before I had that.

Not quite sure what else there is to do at the moment. Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Karanoz

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You may want to try and loosen the screw on the AIO mounts(but not to open it) just a little bit and see if you can boot to GUI. See if the system does the same when breadboarded.

Mind sharing your specs with us like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

No external USB is connected at the moment. Didn't change the outcome.

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

I have not updated the BIOS for a while.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 5 Z97 7917
Ram: 16GB (Don't know the name of the top of my head)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / SeaGate ST2000DM001 2TB
GPU: GTX 970
PSU: Don't remember of the top of my head.
Chassis:Corsair Obsidian 750D

9C is a USB error and A2 is an IDE error. Here's a couple of things to check:

Your system could be searching for a USB boot device Go into your BIOS and ensure that the boot priority is set for your OS drive.

Your system could be having issues with one of your connected USB devices. Try updating your chipset and USB drivers, as well as any appropriate drivers for attached devices.

You could also try connecting your devices to different USB ports.

And i would look at updating to the latest bios.