MSI Gaming Dock VS Alienware Graphics Amplifier

josephdk23

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Which do you think is the better option? Both of them have strengths and weaknesses but I want to get one of them because of their ability to be portable and also game on them. Which one will probably have the most support for the future? Will the PCI x4 on Alienware's limit it?
MSI Pros:
Uses PCI x16
Built in Speakers
Cheaper (Includes 16 gigs of ram, 2 128gb ssd's and faster processor already include)
Better battery life
Add 3.5'' HDD to Gaming Dock

Cons:
Iris Pro 5200 graphics (Will this even be able to handle windows 10?)
Have to buy gaming dock and laptop at one time

Alienware Pros:
Better graphics (Up to GTX 980m)
Ability to have 13,15 or 17 inch screen.
2 m.2 ssd's and 1 2.5 HDD
Alienware brand
Buy Graphics Amplifier separately

Cons:
PCI x4
Cost more with same specs as MSI

Demosthenest

Admirable
What I recommend: get a gaming laptop and a gaming desktop for that price.
A gaming desktop of about 1000 dollars and a gaming laptop of about 1000 dollars should still be cheaper than the alienware or msi with dock and gpu and would perform much, much better.

Can you buy the dock on its own?

See - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gaming-dock-laptop-haswell,27606.html
"MSI also introduced a "GamingDock" built for the GS30 Shadow that houses a discrete graphics card."
"There's the Core i7 processor with Iris Pro graphics (MSI didn't specify the model number), up to 16 GB of DDR3L memory (up to 1600 MHz), two M.2 SSDs with Super Raid and an HD webcam capable of 30 frames per second at 720p." - that's the laptop that has integrated graphics, not the Dock.

They both seem to do the same thing.

What's their price? - post links.

Demosthenest

Admirable
You can buy the alienware dock on its own, you cannot buy the msi dock on its own. Msi is 2000 usd dollars, alienware is 1200-3000 depending on screen size, resolution... both require an external gpu, which should run you about 200-400 more.