[SOLVED] MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 is running hot. Is it broken?

mjanek20

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
I think my MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 is faulty. It heats itself a lot on stock settings throttling down by a huge deal. It maintains to keep the 74 degrease because of dropped down voltage (and clocks) and fan running at 80%.
Can someone please confirm that an RMA is in order judging by the OSD readout when running a game? I'm going crazy ... 😞

https://imgur.com/a/QUyhMZD

It seems to be dropping 200 Mhz on GPU as the temperature is getting higher and higher.
Today I've updated BIOS to the "cool" version which seemed to change the fan curve (which I did manually before). Unfortunately it did not seem to make things any better
I've tried to get it in order for a week now. Changing the fan curve manually resulted in the card being unstable. There's no discussion about overclock if I cannot get it working on stock properly.

Can someone confirm that this should go to RMA ?

Last edited:
Solution
I am running a 3080 and it did initially run at approximately 73-74c under benchmarking. The temperature would creep up from 70c over a few minutes. Improving the case airflow helped get the max temperature to 69-70c. When comparing to reviews remember many use open test benches not in a case in an air conditioned office so you may struggle to achieve the same low temperatures.

mjanek20

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
My previous card was also running > 80 degrees. The point is that 30XX cards are running much cooler and the card is throttling because of this temperature. There's a curve at which the clock is dropping because the temps are increasing. You can se that the voltage is pretty down bcause of that. It should be hitting > 1800 Mhz while gaming which is not the case here. Moreover the card is crashing and hanging my PC on longer gaming sessions.

I am running a 3080 and it did initially run at approximately 73-74c under benchmarking. The temperature would creep up from 70c over a few minutes. Improving the case airflow helped get the max temperature to 69-70c. When comparing to reviews remember many use open test benches not in a case in an air conditioned office so you may struggle to achieve the same low temperatures.

Solution

mjanek20

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015

That's fine, but are your clocks dropping down because of thermal throttling?

Dec 10, 2020
I have the same card, purchased 2 days ago. Had it installed in nzxt h510 case, card temp was 85c. With 2 fans, push pull. Removed glass panel and temps went back to 65-70 with no OC,
Cannot use card in enclosed case for gaming, which sucks, not sure if this is normal, maybe I need full tower with 6 chassis fans.
not sure about this card, considering taking back and swapping for EVGA maybe.