[SOLVED] MSI Gaming X Trio - Questions

Sep 28, 2020
I ordered an RTX 3090 MSI Gaming X Trio. Is this a good AIB compared to others? I normally buy Asus STRIX cards. How does this one compare to others normally? My experience with GPUs extends only to owning a 1080ti FE (Horrible cooling) and now an Asus ROG STRIX 2080Ti (Which has remarkable cooling.) I'm just wondering if I can expect the same type of thermal performance from the MSI Gaming X Trio as I do with the Asus ROG STRIX cards seeing as both these cards are sort of the "upscaled" variants of their entry level designs like the Asus TUF cards. Any help at all is appreciated. Cheers!

Solution
Yes, usually the MSI gaming x trio is top of the line. The MSI Gaming X Trio has one of the best coolers and is usually one of the most silent high performance cards available. The Asus Strix is a louder card (usually also louder with the silent bios) but offers higher power limits and has dual bios.

The decision is basically between super silent card (Trio) or card with higher power limit (Strix). Both cards are great choices and I would pick on of the two.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yes, usually the MSI gaming x trio is top of the line. The MSI Gaming X Trio has one of the best coolers and is usually one of the most silent high performance cards available. The Asus Strix is a louder card (usually also louder with the silent bios) but offers higher power limits and has dual bios.

The decision is basically between super silent card (Trio) or card with higher power limit (Strix). Both cards are great choices and I would pick on of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickP2012
Solution
Sep 28, 2020

Awesome I very much appreciate your info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't "downgrading" from Asus to MSI. My biggest concern is always temperatures So If this card performs similarly to the Asus in terms of cooling I'll be extremely satisfied. (The Trio was the only card available at the time of me purchasing one)

mjbn1977

Distinguished
MSI Trio is not necessarily the coolest, but it is very silent. if you want it cooler you can adjust the fan curve, but then it will be a little louder. I believe MSI even offers a bios update for people who prefer lower temps in exchange for higher fan speeds and noise. The ASUS runs louder but cooler, according to some reviews even with the silent mode bios it still runs louder than the Trio. Also, the ASUS cost much more, mostly due to the dual bios and the higher power module (more components for power supply on the PCB). As I said, both cards are awesome. You didn't do anything wrong. As long as you don't plan to break some overclocking records with super custom water cooling solution or even more extreme stuff, there will be almost no difference in terms of speed (maybe 2-3% more speed with ASUS when overclocking due to the higher power limit?). But then again, it also depends on the quality of the chip and that is just silicone lottery.