[SOLVED] MSI Gaming X/Z,Asus Strix brand new (no warranty) stupid to buy or not?

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Low on budget so bad,but I need at least 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 to play modern games normally.
So I have a supplier who gets brand new models of these cards but doesn't offer warranty,we here don't get warranty from MSI or Asus just from our seller,which in this case is unknown.
So I want you would this be a good choice,since I think that Gaming X or Strix doesn't get failures that often,maybe 1-2 cards from 100,but correct me if I am wrong.

Solution
If you can't get warranty support in your country, then it really doesn't matter does it?

If you CAN get warranty support, for ANY of the top brands such as Zotac, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, EVGA (Especially EVGA), Gainward or Palit, then I'd try to stick with a brand and a seller that are legitimate and provide a warranty. Especially on graphics cards, warranty support is particularly important because they tend to have a higher failure rate than a lot of other types of hardware.

If you can't get warranty support where you are, or can't afford to buy your hardware from a seller that is authorized, then I guess the question doesn't really matter because you're going to be taking a chance and rolling the dice no matter what I or anybody else...
If you can't get warranty support in your country, then it really doesn't matter does it?

If you CAN get warranty support, for ANY of the top brands such as Zotac, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, EVGA (Especially EVGA), Gainward or Palit, then I'd try to stick with a brand and a seller that are legitimate and provide a warranty. Especially on graphics cards, warranty support is particularly important because they tend to have a higher failure rate than a lot of other types of hardware.

If you can't get warranty support where you are, or can't afford to buy your hardware from a seller that is authorized, then I guess the question doesn't really matter because you're going to be taking a chance and rolling the dice no matter what I or anybody else might say. There are NO brands that don't fail. ALL brands CAN have failures. MSI and ASUS do have a pretty good track record when it comes to not having a lot of failures but there are still some and in numbers high enough to still want to try to get hardware with a warranty if it is at all possible.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution
Well, I'll put it this way. Recently one of our moderators had three Sapphire cards fail in a row. Sapphire is a high quality manufacturer of AMD based cards, and they rarely fail like this, so it just goes to show that it really doesn't rely strictly on whether it's a good manufacturer or not. Anybody can have a bad production run AND being in a region where hardware is hard to come by, if you are getting discounted hardware then the chances are very good there is a reason for it. Are you willing to take the chance that the reason isn't because there is something potentially wrong with those cards, like they are a box of cards that fell off the back of a truck and might have had some kind of impact?

That's a call you have to make. It's a lot of money either way to spend on something that you have no recourse on if something fails.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Well, I'll put it this way. Recently one of our moderators had three Sapphire cards fail in a row. Sapphire is a high quality manufacturer of AMD based cards, and they rarely fail like this, so it just goes to show that it really doesn't rely strictly on whether it's a good manufacturer or not. Anybody can have a bad production run AND being in a region where hardware is hard to come by, if you are getting discounted hardware then the chances are very good there is a reason for it. Are you willing to take the chance that the reason isn't because there is something potentially wrong with those cards, like they are a box of cards that fell off the back of a truck and might have had some kind of impact?

That's a call you have to make. It's a lot of money either way to spend on something that you have no recourse on if something fails.
So you really think that because the price is cheaper,something is wrong with those cards?
Don't they come in a box sealed?I meant on RTX 2060 and GTX 1660 Ti Asus Strix and MSI Gaming X/Z models because this guy is selling only these 2.

No, I don't really THINK that, because they are probably fine. It's just worth considering WHERE did this person get them that they can afford to sell them at such low prices, if that's the case. Often if a pallet of hardware falls off a forklift, or train, or the back of a truck, or train derails, or warehouse gets flooded, or any number of possible things that could happen, they get sold off for cheap to resellers. Now that can mean you get a really decent deal on something that is perfectly fine OR it could also mean you get something that has sustained some kind of impact or minimal damage that wouldn't be evident just because the box is still sealed.

I guarantee if you take a sealed box with a graphics card or motherboard in it and drop it from about five to six feet high directly on the concrete you will end up with about a 50% chance that it's still ok and a really good chance that something could go wrong with it. Not a big deal if there is a warranty. Big deal if there isn't. If you feel like the deal is worth the risk, then go for it. If you prefer to play it safe and pay a little more for a guaranteed product, nobody could find fault with you for doing that either.