[SOLVED] MSI GE60 0NC SSD compatibility

GoodKnight52

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Hi there,
So I want to buy this new SSD and I honestly know nothing about them could someone please tell me if it's compatible with my laptop?

Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS500G2B0C

Link to amazon page

I saw my laptop has PCI-Express ports (I think) and I think that's what it needs? or does it need an M2 port?

I think this is what it has for expansion ports
PCI-Express [x16] x 1, PCI-Express [1] x 7, LPC bus x 1, SMBus x 1

I think this is the motherboard:

Thanks for the help!!

Solution
Your laptop is a 3rd gen Intel platform, meaning, at the time M.2 slots with NVMe support were not present. You can't drop that SSD into your laptop sadly, but you could ditch the ODD and replace it with a secondary drive caddy, like this one;
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Ge60/dp/B00LJPP2RQ
Please keep in mind to remove the ODD from your laptop, then measure the height of the ODD to make sure you're buying the right caddy for your laptop. A caddy like that can come also in 9.5mm thickness hence why we're suggesting you take not of the height of the caddy space/ODD in your laptop.

If the height of the caddy is deciphered, then you can drop the laptop's HDD into the caddy, and have a 2.5" SSD in the...

Lutfij

Titan
Your laptop is a 3rd gen Intel platform, meaning, at the time M.2 slots with NVMe support were not present. You can't drop that SSD into your laptop sadly, but you could ditch the ODD and replace it with a secondary drive caddy, like this one;
Please keep in mind to remove the ODD from your laptop, then measure the height of the ODD to make sure you're buying the right caddy for your laptop. A caddy like that can come also in 9.5mm thickness hence why we're suggesting you take not of the height of the caddy space/ODD in your laptop.

If the height of the caddy is deciphered, then you can drop the laptop's HDD into the caddy, and have a 2.5" SSD in the original spot where the HDD was.

Solution

GoodKnight52

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020

If the height of the caddy is deciphered, then you can drop the laptop's HDD into the caddy, and have a 2.5" SSD in the original spot where the HDD was.

First off thank you so much for the replay! It's a bummer but tbh I figured it was a long shot..
I have an empty SSD slot should I not just use that?

And any chance you could tell me what to look for in an SSD that will be compatible with my laptop?

Here is another example it says SATA III but it also says M2..
example

Last edited:

GoodKnight52

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Ok last SSD is this really compatible?

So I went to their site they have a compatibility guide and it gave me this one. Is it actually compatible? and is it worth the upgrade? I have an HDD right now

Edit:
I'm really confused can't I buy this ssd but without the enclosure? I have a slot that literally says SSD on it on my laptop motherboard but it seems to be a very small slot for something the size of the first SSD I posted not one with an enclosure

Last edited:

GoodKnight52

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
ok so after a lot of faffing about I figured I need an msata SSD and not a regular one which kind of really sucks..
I need it shipped to Israel or Italy any recommendations?

My pc is very similar to this one:
similar pc

GoodKnight52

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Ok I think i figured it out!
I'll get this caddy (the one you suggested doesn't ship to my country)

Place this SSD into it

replace my CD drive

The only question left is is this SSD compatible or not?

Thank you so much!