Question MSI Geforce GTX 1080 TI Duke Overheating and Crashing

Jul 22, 2019
If card isn't limited to 60 fps it will overheat till it shuts down. It won't thermal throttle or anything. With out limiting the frames it will pump out as many frames possible, usually above 120fps at 4k, 400+fps at 1k, with stable graphics quality. Turbo 3.0 ramps the speed up to 2000mhz and doesn't lower when the heat gets high. I have a very aggressive fan curve where full fans are on at 70 degrees. I tried under clocking but it still yeets it's self to hell.
In open world scenes like Warframes plains of Eidelon, it will even overheat itself with out throttling with the 60 fps cap.

Build set up is
Corsair H100i
1080 ti duke oc
asus rog strix 7370-E
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 gb (2x8gb)
Corsair AX1500i
Corsair Carbide Air 570 (not sure if the number is correct)

3x120mm fans intake on the front
H100i intake on top (push/pull)
140 mm fan pushing out on the back

Tonight I'm reinstalling drivers, don't expect anything. Thought about turning front fans to pushing out, but that doesn't make sense. Hopefully someone knows what's going on here.

Planning on putting it underwater later this year, but that's just a band aid. Obviously something else is wrong.

Thanks for helping folks.

Jul 22, 2019
Updated drivers, it had seemed like the driver wasn't installed correctly by the great "gefore experience". It failed to show in the unistall program list. It does after manual install.
Screem shot is after playing Warframe plains of eidelon night. 60 frame cap,
unknown.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Download the latest driver package, but do not install it yet.
Download DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ - *disconnect your internet, then run DDU.
After that, you can install the new driver - DO NOT INSTALL Geforce Experience, it is garbage software, you are better off manually configuring game settings yourself.
Opt for a clean install when prompted. Afterwards you can reconnect your internet.

1)Did you buy the card new or used?
2)Do you have anything under the card that may restrict airflow through it?
3)Confirm whether or not all three fans are running.
4)What are the power limits set at? Have you tried a lower setting?
5)Adjusting core voltage generally does very little for 10 series cards. Is it still at 0%?
6)The 1080Ti default thermal limit is 91C. Have you tried setting a lower limit?
7)Activate the gpu voltage graph under the monitoring tab. What is happening with the voltage while the temperature continues to climb?
8)In Afterburner's 'main window', next to the core clock adjustable bar, there is a tiny 3 bar icon. Click that, and it should bring up the voltage/frequency curve editor. Post of screenshot of that.

Jul 22, 2019
Followed your instruction, issue is still occurring. Following is a after unlocking frame rate at 2k resolution.
unknown.png

1)Did you buy the card new or used?
Card is new within 3 years, was thinking about starting a return today or tomorrow.

2)Do you have anything under the card that may restrict airflow through it?
Card has 6-8 inches clearance below it and a case fan blowing across bottom and top of it.

3)Confirm whether or not all three fans are running.
Fans are all running.

4)What are the power limits set at? Have you tried a lower setting?
Power limit is locked, stock setting

5)Adjusting core voltage generally does very little for 10 series cards. Is it still at 0%?
Yes

6)The 1080Ti default thermal limit is 91C. Have you tried setting a lower limit?
Locked, I have not found a way to unlock this.

7)Activate the gpu voltage graph under the monitoring tab. What is happening with the voltage while the temperature continues to climb?
Posted above

8)In Afterburner's 'main window', next to the core clock adjustable bar, there is a tiny 3 bar icon. Click that, and it should bring up the voltage/frequency curve editor. Post of screenshot of that.

unknown.png

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find any other issue like this online.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running, or have you installed any vbios mods for this card? Manufacturer's have set the voltage limit at less than 1.1v - generally 1.093v, and your card is clearly going over that.
The card is behaving as if it has been completely unlocked, and because of that, you can't actually control it with what's currently available to you. Air cooling isn't enough to keep a fully unlocked card from burning itself up.
I'm using the latest version of AB like you are(4.6.1 non-beta), and I can move all my sliders just fine.

If the card is still under warranty, I'd return it.

Jul 22, 2019
It was the vbios, I swear I had flashed it back from the one I was trying out. everything looks beautiful now on the charts. Thanks again for your help. In the end it was user error.

unknown.png