MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
After allowing for driver improvements since the review, the final result looks an awful lot like a Titan XP with maybe an extremely mild OC. Or a stock Titan XP in an 18C room rather than a 20C room. For $200 more.

Well, thats not really the point is it?
Nobody buys a Lightning card because its affordable, you buy it because its a Lightning card.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
$2K for??? There are several "high-end" Ti's in the $700 range (on air) that run better specs than this overpriced card and run same or better benches.

What is the purpose of this card, LOL.

Remember about the line, no bad products, just bad price... well this is the case. The price is just ridiculous.

I cannot believe you gave an Award to this. So basically any overpriced piece of hardware deserve an award by the same logic.

Also, you never talk about reliability or engineering flaws. For example, you gave that piece of garbage an award...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725-4.html

Just take a look at this from a fellow user and me... you guys cannot even point out these simple issues and give feedback about the manufacturers design quality.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3547768/evga-ftw-1080-caught-fire.html

Lasselundberg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why are the charts only stock nvidia stuff and none of the competitions overclocked cards.....why is there a stupid video on all pages i hate it....why is there a stupid email popup every time i visit this site. tomshardware i bid you goodbye i have been with you since the beginning, but all the spam video's and popups...and worst of all comparisons thats useless....bye

For the most part you can always ignore the seemingly helpful prices that Tom's shows in the big green stickers.

The price of the card is not $2000.

Bit-tech did a review of the card and mentioned they bought it for $870.

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z-review/1/

When sites sell out of the cards they remove the price from the page making the overpriced $2000 cards the only ones left to actually advertise, hence the price grabber code pulling $2000 and saying that is the price.

If you dig deep enough you can find the actual vendor Tom's is talking about, Ecotest with 33 whole reviews over the past year, that sells it for $2000 hoping some one will inadvertently hit purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B074DKRWG3/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Artakra

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
I simply cannot imagine something of this weight and width is a good thing to be hanging off your PCI bridge...

Ill pass thanks. And take just about any other similarly spec'ed 1080ti.

ericallanbrooks

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

My 1080ti asus turbo is clocking higher than this.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Scan in the UK has the card listed for 888 UKP (though awaiting an ETA). Not exactly the $2K the article mentions, but still kinda nuts compared to other 1080 Ti options. Amazon UK lists it for a distinctly silly 950 UKP but not yet available.

Ian.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

How exactly would you expect them to predict that one or two cards would blow up?

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for the comments on this. Based on the pricing and availability (or lack thereof), we've made a couple modifications, including removing the award for now. Performance wise, we still think it's a stellar product. But if you can't buy it, or buy it at a reasonable price, it makes sense to withhold an award.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

You would say that. ;D

This card is high quality, however, I am waiting on the next generation high endvideo card. If that does not perform well at 4K and less than 300 watts. I will wait for generation after generation until I am unable to play or die of old age. There is no use for me to upgrade to 4K and get a video card that is sub-par or uses 350+ watts.

Power wise, the 1080 ti is practically there now. Assuming the next generation transitions either to HBM2 or GDDR6 you're well below that power threshold even without another process shrink. Performance wise, who knows what game developers have coming down the pipeline.

altandmain

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Igor, the Lightning X and other variants are more widely available. The Z variant had only 3,000 made, which is why it is not available.

That said, even those are at times, out of stock. Before taxes, I paid about the equal to $820 USD each for 2, which is not all bad, and when overclocked, they do as well, since they have the same hardware.

I think that was worth mentioning in your article.

WeldonB8

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Yeah I don't really see anything about this card to justify the price, personally I'd buy the GIGABYTE AORUS Xtreme GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce, or the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE* Gaming with a memory clock of 12006 Mhz and because its an Elite model the increased memory bandwidth at 528.3 GB/s, each costing around $850. But since it may be the most expensive 1080ti on the market I'm sure they'll have no problem selling them to gamers that "want the best".

CthulhluRules

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I have an ASUS GTX 1080Ti FE with an Arctic Accelero III custom cooler overclocked to over 1,900 Mhz with a top temp of 56°C and that for about $800. Where's the incentive to pay 1,400 for the same performance but with higher temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.