MSI-GeForce-GTX-760 display to Tempest X270OC

SKSmokes

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this, but it sounds as if I were to use the dual DVI output on the GTX 760 card listed above, I could get 2560x1440 data to transmit @ 60 Hz (e.g. 60 frames that size each second).

On the receiving end the monitor can refresh, once overclocked, up to 120Hz....but if the original image is only sent 60 times a second it seems to me that a 120Hz monitor offers nothing over a 60Hz monitor (the 120 Hz monitor will simply redraw each frame twice which, as it hasn't changed, offers no new data).

I'm sure I'm just not understanding something as everyone raves about 120Hz monitors (though maybe not at 2560x1440 is the reason?).

Any help would be appreciated to clear up my misunderstanding.

Solution
Yes, there still will be a difference because the faster monitor will refresh the screen data faster, so more closely to when the frame from the GPU comes in, instead of possibly skipping or missing more frames.
So I think the obvious advantage is the higher the refresh rate of the monitor, the more closely it can match the output of the video card. The video card outputs frames at variable rates, so it's never going to be synced up to a non-adaptive piece of hardware perfectly. The higher the refresh rate of the monitor, the better it will display the frames as they are transmitted versus a monitor that refreshes at a lower rate. The main point of my own confusion while I was trying to research new monitors a while back was thinking that signals were matched. The output of a GPU, whether that is 60hz or higher, is not synced up to the same 60hz of the display, so even if both were consistently and perfectly outputting and taking in signals at 60hz, those signals and inputs may not fall into the same cadence.

This seemed to be a well thought out discussion of the refresh rates of 1440 monitors.

http://overlordforum.com/topic/44-2560x1440-120hz-possible-over-dvi-d/

SKSmokes

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
That's a great post to describe whether or not it is physically possible for a dual link DVI to carry a 120 hz 2560x1440 signal, but that still leaves the question that, if my video card is only capable of sending a 60 hz signal (manufacturer's spec, maybe I'm reading it wrong?) will there be a difference seen with a 120 hz monitor?

Yes, there still will be a difference because the faster monitor will refresh the screen data faster, so more closely to when the frame from the GPU comes in, instead of possibly skipping or missing more frames.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS