msi geforce gtx 960 good enough for 1080p 144hz monitor?

SnipeAssault

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I am just wondering if a MSI GeForce GTX is good enough for a 1920x1080, 144Hz monitor?
The monitor I am thinking of getting is BenQ 24" LED XL2430T
Can't afford a 970, so should I go with the 960 or buy a cheaper monitor and wait for when I can afford a 970.

Solution
The card will run games at 1080p with no problem, but you will not benefit from that 144Hz monitor in most games.
For me, the only reason to get a 144Hz is if you can also get enough fps in the games you play and at the settings you want in order to achieve close to 144 FPS.
If you only achieve around 60FPS in games, than there`s close to no benefit from this setup.

Can you tell us what games you`re planning to play? If it`s minecraft or CS:GO, it`s a good choice. But not for the more demanding games.

Pr3di

Honorable
The card will run games at 1080p with no problem, but you will not benefit from that 144Hz monitor in most games.
For me, the only reason to get a 144Hz is if you can also get enough fps in the games you play and at the settings you want in order to achieve close to 144 FPS.
If you only achieve around 60FPS in games, than there`s close to no benefit from this setup.

Can you tell us what games you`re planning to play? If it`s minecraft or CS:GO, it`s a good choice. But not for the more demanding games.

Solution

SnipeAssault

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I play a lot of different kind of games. All from minecraft, CS:GO, battlefield, Call of duty, skyrim, star wars the old republic, middle-earth: shadow of mordor.

I want to play on atleast high settings on most games.

Pr3di

Honorable
Well, you will benefit from the 144Hz monitor in the less demanding games.
However, in the more demanding ones like Battlefield, you should get around 60FPS in Medium-High settings.

For my build, I went with a regular 1080p - 60Hz monitor, but the best performance I could get from the GPU.

This choice is all on you, and you will have the benefits/drawbacks that come with each choice.

slayercft

Reputable
May 11, 2015
People have different choices. I run every game I play at 1920x1080 at 144hz on an MSI 960. That is because I mainly play competitive games. Less lag = more frag...I couldn't care less how pretty it looks... Vsync off, optimize every game you play with your own configs...CSGO in game i get about 190-300 fps, BF4 between 97 and 130 or so..

tldr
FX 8370 @ 4.7ghz
MSI gtx 960 2gb 1450 core
8gb gskill
ASUS VG248 monitor 144hz

People buy nice video cards and then don't cater their games to their hardware...Big mistake. Basically you can spend $1200 or so on a TITAN and hit "restore defaults" and get good FPS, or you can spend $170 on a gtx 960, change a few lines, and still be playing at the same FPS. It won't look as beautiful in game, but there is nothing that says it has to look pretty to be top :p

To each his own. I've had the best, I've had the worst...if its playable at the settings you desire, then its fun right?

TRENDING THREADS