Question MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS is boosting upto 1950Mhz

Feb 11, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the extra free performance out of the card, but it's only supposed to boost to 1710Mhz as is shown in this image by GPU-Z:

oAVuMGQ.jpg

However, I ran a Kombustor and looked at clock speed in Afterburner and it was setting at 1950Mhz as shown in this picture:

t74BEKE.jpg

And as you can see, this is without ANY overclocking at all. Eventually the card settled down to around 1820Mhz after a few minutes running Kombustor, but that is still 110Mhz over was the card is supposed to do without being OC'D so my questions are:

1.) Why is this happening ?
2.) Will this effect the life of the card ?
3.) Is there any point in OC'ing futher since this seem to be the fastest the card can do anyway before it thermal throttles.
4.) While I am at it, why is the Memory clock speed showing up as 7000 Mhz, that obviously has to be incorrect. right?

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
  1. Is it actually achieving those clocks, sustained with a load on it? If so, you're likely benefiting from GPU Boost 3.0, which will 'boost' clocks provided you have sufficient thermal/voltage headroom. What kind of temps are you seeing under load?
  2. Assuming it is within thermal/voltage headroom etc, then no, it will not affect the lifespan of the card.
  3. Maybe, maybe not. There's no guarantees with overclocking. You might be able to push it a little higher with an increased fan curve but, with an increased curve, GPUBoost would likely achieve the same/similar results anyway.

Feb 11, 2019
  1. Is it actually achieving those clocks, sustained with a load on it? If so, you're likely benefiting from GPU Boost 3.0, which will 'boost' clocks provided you have sufficient thermal/voltage headroom. What kind of temps are you seeing under load?
  2. Assuming it is within thermal/voltage headroom etc, then no, it will not affect the lifespan of the card.
  3. Maybe, maybe not. There's no guarantees with overclocking. You might be able to push it a little higher with an increased fan curve but, with an increased curve, GPUBoost would likely achieve the same/similar results anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply, hopefully this screenshot will answer most of your questions.

bbQt8Iq.jpg

I ran Kombustor for little over 2 mintues (I know further testing needs to be done to be called stable / sustained) and the speed started to fluctuate between 1820Mhz-1860Mhz @ 67F with no artifacts the 1950Mhz was just a peak, but still suprised me considering I was considering 1710Mhz before OC'ing. I did run MSI'S OC Scanner yesterday and the highest temp I saw was 71C with Voltage & Power sliders set to max which is 12C under the limit for this card.

Feb 11, 2019
Thanks again for the info. The real thing is I am still gaming at 1080P @60Hz and this card paired with my 8700K (also not OC'D yet) can run any game I have thrown at it on max settings at a minimum of 87 fps (most titles are over 100 fps) so I think I should just leave it all at stock for now anyway unless a need arises to change it down the road.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't look to OC it, no. If you were sustaining the higher clocks because your card was extremely cool, then sure - push on and see what you can achieve.
As you're throttling back already, unless you want to crank the fan speed to 100% constant, it's probably not going to net any gains anyway -- especially if you're currently happy with the performance (and for 1080p/60, I'd be surprised if you weren't!)

Jun 11, 2020
the same thing happened to me with my zotac rtx 2060 super i run an oc scanner on firestorm zotac then itcrashwd and now my boost cock is 1960 mhz
i tried msi after burner to bring down boost cock but still remains same
anybody pls help this is my new gpu
previously it was running at 80 degrees max on epic settings fortnite and now same 79 degrees max at epic settings fortnite . what to do now?
i contacted zotac they told me to do cmos battery what is it?? but my pc is running as before running at 80 degrees at max load
any help would be appreciated

TRENDING THREADS