[SOLVED] MSI GEFORCE RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2017
So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i'm getting crashing problems with it. So basically when im in game within the first few seconds of playing it crashes and i believe the problem is the factory overclock is too high, as the core clock speed boosts all the way up to 2010Mhz in game and as soon as it reaches that speed it crashes. It does this in all games. The only way i can fix this problem is by downclocking the core clock in msi after burner. Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself. I use no auto overclocking software of any kind, and haven't tried to overclock it once. the only thing i have done is downclock it to make it actully work in game. i am also using all the lastest Nvidia Drivers. Anyone have any ideas ?

Solution
Daft question but you are using two dedicated PCI-e power connectors for this not a single one with two 8 pin connectors on the end?
The TX750m is a single rail PSU, shouldn´t be the problem, but was my first idea as well. Using two cables should be tested nontheless to exclude a problem there.

How hot is your ambient temperature? the operating temp. of this PSU is 50°C, maybe it´s getting too hot?

Did you overclock your CPU as well? Latest BIOS installed?

uninstall afterburner or similar and restart

Use ddu uninstaller to remove all GPU driver residues from earlier installations and reinstall the latest from nvidia.com

please run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g...

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
ill give it a try thanks
CPU: i7 8700k
MOBO: msi pc pro
RAM: corsair 16gb 2400mhz
PSU: tx750m
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC
Could be the PSU especially if it's over 4 years old.. one dude had similar issue with different 3080 with 3 year old EVGA 850 PSU.
Have you ever had any other high-end GPU on your current setup? i.e. 1080Ti, 2080S, 2080Ti

Sep 22, 2020
Hi, i have the same GPU. My system crashed twice during gaming. Although this under the period of 8-9 hours usage. Although my clock is not reaching above 2000mhz. Strange that yours does.

My tip is use the MSI dragon center and select "silent" or "normal" mode. This way the system will not overclock auto, it says that when you hover on that option.

Sep 23, 2020
I have one of these on pre-order and am getting mildly concerned that it may be the poorest RTX3080 option.

Daft question but you are using two dedicated PCI-e power connectors for this not a single one with two 8 pin connectors on the end?

Last edited:
The TX750m is a single rail PSU, shouldn´t be the problem, but was my first idea as well. Using two cables should be tested nontheless to exclude a problem there.

How hot is your ambient temperature? the operating temp. of this PSU is 50°C, maybe it´s getting too hot?

Did you overclock your CPU as well? Latest BIOS installed?

uninstall afterburner or similar and restart

Use ddu uninstaller to remove all GPU driver residues from earlier installations and reinstall the latest from nvidia.com

please run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

Solution
Sep 23, 2020
Having read some similar post threads regarding this I'm leaning towards there being a batch of cards with incorrect BIOS settings applied by MSI, I would be very interested in the response you receive from your support call if you wouldn't mind sharing it, when you eventually get it of course?

The current work around appears to be to downclock the card and it remains stable for other users, so would be worth trying that if you're comfortable doing it.

Happy to let you know how I get on with mine once it eventually ships.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.