Question MSI GF63-8RD EGPU Compatibility

jobaseniero

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
Hello everyone, so I have an MSI GF63-8RD laptop and I want to know what are the exact components that I need in order to connect an external GPU using the mini PCI-e slot that my wifi card uses. I am planning to connect a GTX 1070 into it and I am not sure what are the specific components needed to connect it to my laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to read through this guide. You can source the dock from Aliexpress, like this URL but you will need to identify the slot for your WiFi adapter prior to purchasing the external dock. You're also going to have to source a reliably built PSU for the task. Please keep in mind that an external GPU dock will only limit the option for mobility for your laptop and IMHO, I don't think it's worthwhile upgrading from the Max-Q GTX1050Ti to a GTX1070. If an upgrade, might want to see if you can snag an RTX2060 or higher.

Reactions: jobaseniero

jobaseniero

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
Might want to read through this guide. You can source the dock from Aliexpress, like this URL but you will need to identify the slot for your WiFi adapter prior to purchasing the external dock. You're also going to have to source a reliably built PSU for the task. Please keep in mind that an external GPU dock will only limit the option for mobility for your laptop and IMHO, I don't think it's worthwhile upgrading from the Max-Q GTX1050Ti to a GTX1070. If an upgrade, might want to see if you can snag an RTX2060 or higher.
Thanks! I'll try to check out the links that you gave me. I just think that my laptop's current GPU is dying or something since it is a 4-year old laptop and I am also unable to play games like Rust or WOW without them crashing or freezing every once in a while even if I have the latest drivers and stuff. And the GTX 1070 is my friend's unused GPU so I might get it at a low price. 🧀

jobaseniero

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
Hello, so I opened up my laptop and I found out that I have an Intel 9462NGW, so it means that I am going to need an M2 cable right? (I think I'm asking a dumb question, I'm just making sure xD)