[SOLVED] MSI GL62M laptop motherboard compatibility ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrhenry

Commendable
Dec 9, 2021
I own a MSI GL 62M 7RDX laptop and my motherboard went, I don't know the specific item number but it has the i5 and the GTX 1050. I have a friend that has a MSI GE Series Apache laptop that the screen got shattered on and isn't used anymore. He offered to give me the motherboard out of his if I wanted. As far as I see the ports and screw locations match up and they seem to the the exact same shape but I didn't measure. In fact both models look almost identical. Again I don't know item number specifics but I know his has the i7 and GTX 1060 if that helps identify. Would I be able to replace my broken mother board with the one out of his GE series laptop? I understand that buying a newer and better laptop is easier but considering I'd get the motherboard for free and I'm capable of installing it myself so it would be a lot cheaper than spending money for a new one.

I own a MSI GL 62M 7RDX laptop and my motherboard went, I don't know the specific item number but it has the i5 and the GTX 1050. I have a friend that has a MSI GE Series Apache laptop that the screen got shattered on and isn't used anymore. He offered to give me the motherboard out of his if I wanted. As far as I see the ports and screw locations match up and they seem to the the exact same shape but I didn't measure. In fact both models look almost identical. Again I don't know item number specifics but I know his has the i7 and GTX 1060 if that helps identify. Would I be able to replace my broken mother board with the one out of his GE series laptop? I understand that buying a newer and better laptop is easier but considering I'd get the motherboard for free and I'm capable of installing it myself so it would be a lot cheaper than spending money for a new one.
if everything fits, like a 1:1 replacement, screen port works, everything works, then why not?

wrhenry

Commendable
Dec 9, 2021
Way late of a reply (I forgot I even posted this), but for anyone that is curious or somehow ends up in the same exact position as me installing the "i7 GTX 1060" motherboard works completely fine. I've been using it for over 2 years without an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.