[SOLVED] MSI GL63 8RC - motherboard(cpu&gpu) & screen upgrade

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,
My laptop (MSI GL63 8RC) isn’t performing very well with a few games, like my old pc used to and was wondering if I could upgrade the cpu&gpu but I’ve researched and they are soldered to the motherboard and I’d like the screen to be at higher Hz. I’ve already added more RAM (same speed) to the laptop. Is any of this possible and what do I need?
Thanks

Solution
I'm only trying to spend a little money as possible really, I don't want the top of the line stuff. but I'm just looking for something that I wont have to worry about wtih performance and graphics. Would it be a good idea to buy a used custom pc off ebay or would you not recommend it?
I can't vouch for or against ebay used goods personally, I've never used it. But I have used our danish equivalent of craigslist (DBA) extensively for private transaction. I highly recommend something local where you can actually go and see it running on a fresh install of windows, test some games/benchmarks and temperatures... Although it may be a bit hard nowadays due to Covid19. Facebook marketplace can also be a gem at times, but you will...

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
At that point just sell the laptop and buy one that fulfills your needs?

It's why many don't like gaming laptops in the first place. You're stuck with what you got, apart from ram and storage. At best you have a thunderbolt 3 port to hook up a desktop GPU externally.

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Honestly this is about as low as I'd be comfortable going for recommending with the specs you're requesting (£1250):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FA706...C5SZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Otherwise you're looking at pairing a 1650 with a 120hz+ display which... just ain't right, unless you only play esports titles.
imo there are two comprises that can be made:
  • Buy on the used market (would probably even snag an rtx 2060 model for about or under £1k)
  • Compromise on the size back down to 15.6inch, which is where the sweet performance deals around your budget are.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Honestly this is about as low as I'd be comfortable going for recommending with the specs you're requesting (£1250):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FA706...C5SZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Otherwise you're looking at pairing a 1650 with a 120hz+ display which... just ain't right, unless you only play esports titles.
imo there are two comprises that can be made:
  • Buy on the used market (would probably even snag an rtx 2060 model for about or under £1k)
  • Compromise on the size back down to 15.6inch, which is where the sweet performance deals around your budget are.
the asus does look like a good laptop but i do feel like gaming laptops are never as good as custom built PCs. Would that run all games perfectly without issues of having to lower graphics for it to run smoothly? I do play highly competitive games like csgo etc. which mostly use the cpu than gpu. also would this laptop be upgradeable in the future?

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
the asus does look like a good laptop but i do feel like gaming laptops are never as good as custom built PCs. Would that run all games perfectly without issues of having to lower graphics for it to run smoothly? I do play highly competitive games like csgo etc. which mostly use the cpu than gpu. also would this laptop be upgradeable in the future?
If you want upgradeable; buy a desktop PC. Let that train of thought about an upgradeable laptop go.

Are you going to max out settings on every single new game out there with that Asus laptop and hit an avg. 144+fps? No. You will have to nudge down the most demanding settings just a little bit, unless it's an esports title. If by smooth you mean 60fps-ish as 1% lows, then it will be fine on most games.

The most demanding games will likely run smooth at around what a medium preset would be.
The majority should be very smooth at what a high preset would be.
Almost every esports title should run at what an ultra/very-high preset would be without much of a hiccup.

Just search ''1660 ti laptop test'' on Youtube and watch some real world performance benchmarks in games, pay notice to what settings they're using (especially MSAA), and see if it would satisfy you.

Last edited:

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
If you want upgradeable; buy a desktop PC. Let that train of thought about an upgradeable laptop go.

Are you going to max out settings on every single new game out there with that Asus laptop and hit an avg. 144+fps? No. You will have to nudge down the most demanding settings just a little bit, unless it's an esports title. If by smooth you mean 60fps-ish as 1% lows, then it will be fine on most games.

The most demanding games will likely run smooth at around what a medium preset would be.
The majority should be very smooth at what a high preset would be.
Almost every esports title should run at what an ultra/very-high preset would be without much of a hiccup.

Just search ''1660 ti laptop test'' on Youtube and watch some real world performance benchmarks in games, pay notice to what settings they're using (especially MSAA), and see if it would satisfy you.
I've searched it and it doesn't look very promising. is there a website who I can compare cpu with gpus for a pc then? or is there any you'd recommend?

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I've searched it and it doesn't look very promising. is there a website who I can compare cpu with gpus for a pc then? or is there any you'd recommend?
You can use userbenchmark for some very rudamentary CPU vs CPU and GPU vs GPU.
If you want to see how X CPU faires with Y GPU, then you will have to look at 3rd party benchmarks. First one popping up in my head is jayztwocents.

If you're the type that likes waiting for the next bang for buck, then remember the RTX 3070 is coming soon and very likely a 3060 later down the line (bots are going to get to them first before you do on launch day, though. So don't go off that). As well as new AMD GPUs, and next gen Ryzen also around the corner.
Also just a PSA so you don't get ripped off if you decide to buy an overpriced used GPU that's going to tank in price almost instantly lol.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
You can use userbenchmark for some very rudamentary CPU vs CPU and GPU vs GPU.
If you want to see how X CPU faires with Y GPU, then you will have to look at 3rd party benchmarks. First one popping up in my head is jayztwocents.

If you're the type that likes waiting for the next bang for buck, then remember the RTX 3070 is coming soon and very likely a 3060 later down the line (bots are going to get to them first before you do on launch day, though. So don't go off that). As well as new AMD GPUs, and next gen Ryzen also around the corner.
Also just a PSA so you don't get ripped off if you decide to buy an overpriced used GPU that's going to tank in price almost instantly lol.
I'm only trying to spend a little money as possible really, I don't want the top of the line stuff. but I'm just looking for something that I wont have to worry about wtih performance and graphics. Would it be a good idea to buy a used custom pc off ebay or would you not recommend it?

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I can't vouch for or against ebay used goods personally, I've never used it. But I have used our danish equivalent of craigslist (DBA) extensively for private transaction. I highly recommend something local where you can actually go and see it running on a fresh install of windows, test some games/benchmarks and temperatures... Although it may be a bit hard nowadays due to Covid19. Facebook marketplace can also be a gem at times, but you will probably have to F5 camp a bit.

Find out the specs of a system you would need for the performance you want. Find out the used market price for each part, sum them up, adjust it depending on the unique used system you find.

Probably also wise to go make another thread on another part of the forum now with helping build a pcpartpicker list for the performance you want. I doubt it will be picked up here.

Reactions: James Noscoper
Solution

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I can't vouch for or against ebay used goods personally, I've never used it. But I have used our danish equivalent of craigslist (DBA) extensively for private transaction. I highly recommend something local where you can actually go and see it running on a fresh install of windows, test some games/benchmarks and temperatures... Although it may be a bit hard nowadays due to Covid19. Facebook marketplace can also be a gem at times, but you will probably have to F5 camp a bit.

Find out the specs of a system you would need for the performance you want. Find out the used market price for each part, sum them up, adjust it depending on the unique used system you find.

Probably also wise to go make another thread on another part of the forum now with helping build a pcpartpicker list for the performance you want. I doubt it will be picked up here.
ok I'll give it some research, thanks for everything