[SOLVED] MSI GL65 repaste, weird stain on CPU

Aug 4, 2021
Hey guys,
I’ve decided to repaste my laptop with Kryonaut. After I’ve cleaned factory thermal paste, it left this on my CPU.
I tried cleaning it with vodka, microfibre and cotton swabs (unfortunately, you cant buy alcohol in a drug store in Russia), zero effect so far. Is it bad? I have no clue what is this, I will appreciate any help! Thanks!

Solution
Those don't look like stains. They look like abrasions. I doubt there's much you can do about it unless you are willing to slightly lap the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink with something like 2000-4000 grit sandpaper if it's even something you can find in your region. Personally I'd probably just repaste and reassemble. If it was working before like that it should work now, except a little better, due to fresh and better quality thermal interface material.
Those don't look like stains. They look like abrasions. I doubt there's much you can do about it unless you are willing to slightly lap the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink with something like 2000-4000 grit sandpaper if it's even something you can find in your region. Personally I'd probably just repaste and reassemble. If it was working before like that it should work now, except a little better, due to fresh and better quality thermal interface material.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Aug 4, 2021
Thanks for your help and such a fast reply!
I’ve repasted it and clocks got a little worse (like 100 mHz lower minimum and 200 mHz lower maximum). Though I’m 100% sure I did everything right because I tried to repaste a second time and it’s still the same. Interesting thing :) I don’t know what could be a problem. Maybe heatsink from factory was somehow pushed more? (can it like stick to thermal pad more if they pushed it harder idk)

No, laptop heatsinks shouldn't be able to be "pushed harder". They are dead stop style screw down devices and are largely automated processes. I've never seen anything like what is on your CPU and heatsink except in cases where some substance that caused a reaction came in contact with the surface causing the sort of thing you see there from a galvanic type reaction or when somebody tried to clean the surfaces up with some kind of highly abrasive pad or cleaner.

Maybe others have better suggestions but, did you buy this laptop new or used? When did you buy it. Does it have any warranty?

Aug 4, 2021
No, laptop heatsinks shouldn't be able to be "pushed harder". They are dead stop style screw down devices and are largely automated processes. I've never seen anything like what is on your CPU and heatsink except in cases where some substance that caused a reaction came in contact with the surface causing the sort of thing you see there from a galvanic type reaction or when somebody tried to clean the surfaces up with some kind of highly abrasive pad or cleaner.

Maybe others have better suggestions but, did you buy this laptop new or used? When did you buy it. Does it have any warranty?
Hey,
I bought it (new) in September of 2020, warranty 1,5 years (still present). Do you think I should contact local service center (msi authorized)?

Yes. I would show them the pictures of the CPU and heatsink. Those should not have looked like that, although, regardless of what the temperature is, lower, higher, whatever, if the temperature is WITHIN specifications, they are probably not going to do anything for you. If the temperatures are OUTSIDE of specifications, then there's a good chance they may.

There is also the possibility that if they know you took the unit apart that they might want to TRY and say that voids the warranty, which probably depends a lot on what country you are in and what the laws are there.