_Kyzer

Honorable
May 9, 2016
I bought a 6800 XT Gaming Z Trio, has a beefy cooler on it. However, the junction temperature often reads quite high despite this, and the card peaks at 105c when it's really working (stock fan settings -- not using them anymore lmao)

I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort of deconstructing the card and applying better paste and pads. A difference of ~3c isn't worth the effort to me, so this is more concerning the quality of the interface materials MSI uses on their coolers lately. If they're known for using bottom-tier thermal paste, then it may be worth the effort.

TBH, at some point will likely throw this thing in a liquid cooling loop unless this is a valid solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to look into the AIO issue MSI have been facing, then look into their RMA policies which have been hit or miss for pretty much anyone investing into their products, then is their non existent support team when it comes to resolving an issue which is as simple as flashing BIOS on an afflicted motherboard, then wrap it all up with their own Dragon Center app being the root cause of most BIOS flashing/bricked motherboard's issue.

MSI have been on my do not invest list for a while(past 2 years) and with that you need to understand that companies will want to make a profit. Post pandemic(although it's not gone entirely) they've resorted to skimming as much profit as possible, which often times mean sourcing subpar components, materials or (untrained)support technicians. Thermal paste can also fall under that category where cost cutting has been done.

IMHO, you might be better served with changing the thermal paste and the thermal pads with aftermarket solutions to help get better temps on both the lower end(when card is idling) as well as the top end(when the card is taxed). You will also be investing much heavily on other components outside of a waterblock if you do decide to go the watercooling route.