Question MSI GS 65 Battery Life nowhere near reported +8hrs

Jcharby

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Hi all,

I recently bought an MSI GS 65 with the 2060 GPU to use as my college laptop. The issue that I am currently having is with the battery life. I am currently only getting about 2-2.5 hours of battery life when even just using google chrome. I've seen others post about this and recommend turning off the dedicated GPU and using the intel GPU for everyday use and then turning on the dedicated GPU for games and such. As it is right now, the indicator light on my PC is constantly orange, which from my understanding means that it is using the 2060 constantly.

I've tried going into the NVIDIA Control panel and changing the 3D settings for certain apps to only using the intel graphics. For example, google chrome is set to use the intel graphics only. I have the desktop GPU Activity icon turned on in the NVIDIA Control Panel as well and it reads " GTX 2060 (inactive) " when I am in google chrome, but the light on my PC is still orange and the battery life is still horribly low.

How can I ensure that the 2060 is turned off until I need it? Or am I looking at this the wrong way and there is another setting I need to change? I have tried creating a "eco" / "battery saver" battery setting and fan setting in dragon center and battery options, but that will only get me up to 2.5-3 hours and the orange light still stays on.
Any other tips to improve battery life would be greatly appreciated. I have also disabled by keyboard LEDs but that hasnt seemed to help much.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS