MSI GS40 6QE Phantom Gaming Laptop First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I've been Targeting the MSI and Gigabyte Gaming Laptops; While this has everything i want in a truly flexible machine (size/weight; power, aesthetics) I wonder/worry about this and Gigabyte's software and drive suite(s). Does anyone have experience between these brands and can shed some light on their general reliability? It seems like there's plenty of each the MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte machines with 6th-gen intel hardware trading blows in the $1,100-$1,400 range (at resale outlets; Newegg, Amazon, etc)

Reynar

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I love my MSI laptop but after just 2 months of moderate gaming the letters are wearing off. I can see the plastic under the w and s keys.

"the GS40 6QE Phantom can quickly get uncomfortably warm" - Thats a diplomatic way to put it.
This thing will get HOT. I dont even want to think about the temps when there is some dust in the cooling system.
We are talking 50 to 70 degrees C.... on the case.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Does it get hot on the bottom of the laptop, topside or both or just the hot air coming out of the vents? More detail in the article about this would have been helpful.

Also, throttling issues with full CPU and GPU utilizing or just full GPU utilization (gaming) or just full CPU utilization? No mention of throttling, just that it 'gets hot'.

It would be awesome if they had powerful enough fans in this 3.5 pound laptop to keep the CPU & GPU from throttling!

If the battery is easily swappable, the small battery is no big deal. If you take this to work or school, bring a few extra batteries or the AC adapter.

anonym005

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Owner of a GS60-6QE with the same spec here. The 15" doesn't have the same heat issues when gaming and it's only 4lbs. Does the GS40's Type-C port also support Thunderbolt? The GS60 doesn't have a removable battery, so I seriously doubt the 14" does either.

Status
Not open for further replies.