MSI GS63 7RD or HP Pavilion Power?

shuraim26

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Hello. I'm an engineering student in third year of computer science.

I'm looking to get a good laptop for college with the side gaming capabilities.

First off, I know many people would just recommend me to build a budget gaming PC and buy a cheap usable laptop for college. Let me point out that it's not feasible for me. As an engineering student, I'll be coding a lot, running VMs and sometimes multiple OS. So a cheap CPU won't cut it for me. Also, I can't spare the space in my home for just a PC. I'm also not such a hardcore gamer. Medium to high settings with 30+ fps is more than enough for me.

As a student, I'll be carrying the laptop around fairly frequently, so it should fairly light(Maximum 2.5 kg). It should also be fairly slim(Maximum 1 inch). I'm okay with average battery life that is 4-5 hours on non gaming usage. I can't even ask more from a gaming laptop. Most importantly, I don't want a gamery laptop that screams red. I'll be taking it to college a lot and internships too, so I have to have a professional looking laptop. And finally my budget is around Rs. 70000 ($1000).

Note : Prices here in India are higher than that of US.

Since I'm just a casual gamer, I figured that there are 2 gpu laptops I could choose from:
1. MX150
2. GTX 1050

I first thought of going with the mx150, but I think that this gpu will become obsolete within the next year after which games will be unplayable. Also they sport a weaker but power efficient U series processor. But on the other hand, mx150 laptops are very professional looking, slim, light, and have amazing battery life.

Then I checked on the gtx 1050. This clearly is a GPU for casual or maybe more frequent gamers. Most laptops I've seen having this gpu just scream gamer and demand attention. These laptops sport a powerful HQ processor rather than U processor. But they're kind of chunky, heavy and don't have great battery life either. Since none of the cons are crossing my threshold, I kept it in consideration.

Mx150 laptops are hardly Rs. 7000($100) cheaper than the gtx 1050 laptops. So I decided to rather go with the 1050 laptops for their performance.

I've rounded up my requirements:

Should be fairly light for a powerful machine ie maximum of 2.5kg.

Should be fairly portable ie reasonably slim, no more than an inch thick.

Battery should be fairly usable ie 4-5 hours of coding should be more than enough for me.

Should have at least a GTX 1050 2gb for my gaming needs and maybe some graphic related rendering in the future.

1080p screen is a must. I'm a TV series buff.

Keyboard should be good enough for some coding without irritation.

An i5 should be more than enough for me. Though, an i7 would be great if I get it in my budget.

Minimum 8gb RAM is necessity for me.

Most importantly, it shouldn't scream GAMER ie it shouldn't be too fashy, as I'll be taking it to college and maybe some internships.

So I rounded up laptops, searching on Flipkart, Amazon and even Paytm Mall(They have great cashbacks). I checked out many msi, asus, acer, dell, hp laptops on these sites. Most of them were chunky and heavy, and had a gamer look. Well not all of them. I ended up selecting two laptops within my requirements:

1. MSI GS63 7RD :
https://paytmmall.com/msi-gs63-7rd-240in-core-i7-7th-gen-8-gb-1-tb-39-62-cm-15-6-windows-10-2-gb-black-CMPLXLAPMSI-GS63-7RDDUMM202568EF60443-pdp

Including cashback, MSI GS63 7RD is costing me around Rs. 64000($920).

It sports an i7 7700 hq with a GTX 1050 2gb and 8gb ram.

It's much more subtle looking than the company's other products.

Also, plus is it's only 0.7 inches thick and weighs 1.7kg.

I'm not sure about battery life, but I think it can juice out 4-5 hours.

2. HP Pavilion Power 15 :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0752S2RDX/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527419762&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=Hp+pavilion+power&dpPl=1&dpID=41ceDpcr8DL&ref=plSrch

Final cost is coming same as the MSI that is Rs.64000($920).

It sports an i5 7300 hq with a GTX 1050 2gb and 8gb RAM.

It has green accents but mostly on the inside and is very subtle looking.

It's on the thicker side. It's an inch thick and weighs 2.2kg.

The battery life is extremely good. Some say it can last more than 8 hours.

I'm really confused between the two. The only difference between the two is the processor.

As of now, I'm inclined towards the Msi, but I'm just worried if it's too gamer to take to college. Though even the hp has a hint of gamer with its green accents. And I think the msi is more value for money. Also, msi is extremely portable rather than the hp.

The only reason I'm holding back is I'm worried if the msi is too gamery.

What do you guys think?

shuraim26

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from shuraim26 : "MSI GS63 7RD or HP Pavilion Power?"

Hello. I'm an engineering student in third year of computer science.

I'm looking to get a good laptop for college with the side gaming capabilities.

First off, I know many people would just recommend me to build a budget gaming PC and buy a cheap usable laptop for college. Let me point out that it's not feasible for me. As an engineering student, I'll be coding a lot, running VMs and sometimes multiple OS. So a cheap CPU won't cut it for me. Also, I can't spare the space in my home for just a PC. I'm also not such a hardcore gamer. Medium to high settings with 30+ fps is more than enough for me.

As a student, I'll be carrying the laptop around fairly frequently, so it should fairly light(Maximum 2.5 kg). It should also be fairly slim(Maximum 1 inch). I'm okay with average battery life that is 4-5 hours on non gaming usage. I can't even ask more from a gaming laptop. Most importantly, I don't want a gamery laptop that screams red. I'll be taking it to college a lot and internships too, so I have to have a professional looking laptop. And finally my budget is around Rs. 70000 ($1000).

Note : Prices here in India are higher than that of US.

Since I'm just a casual gamer, I figured that there are 2 gpu laptops I could choose from:
1. MX150
2. GTX 1050

I first thought of going with the mx150, but I think that this gpu will become obsolete within the next year after which games will be unplayable. Also they sport a weaker but power efficient U series processor. But on the other hand, mx150 laptops are very professional looking, slim, light, and have amazing battery life.

Then I checked on the gtx 1050. This clearly is a GPU for casual or maybe more frequent gamers. Most laptops I've seen having this gpu just scream gamer and demand attention. These laptops sport a powerful HQ processor rather than U processor. But they're kind of chunky, heavy and don't have great battery life either. Since none of the cons are crossing my threshold, I kept it in consideration.

Mx150 laptops are hardly Rs. 7000($100) cheaper than the gtx 1050 laptops. So I decided to rather go with the 1050 laptops for their performance.

I've rounded up my requirements:

Should be fairly light for a powerful machine ie maximum of 2.5kg.

Should be fairly portable ie reasonably slim, no more than an inch thick.

Battery should be fairly usable ie 4-5 hours of coding should be more than enough for me.

Should have at least a GTX 1050 2gb for my gaming needs and maybe some graphic related rendering in the future.

1080p screen is a must. I'm a TV series buff.

Keyboard should be good enough for some coding without irritation.

An i5 should be more than enough for me. Though, an i7 would be great if I get it in my budget.

Minimum 8gb RAM is necessity for me.

Most importantly, it shouldn't scream GAMER ie it shouldn't be too fashy, as I'll be taking it to college and maybe some internships.

So I rounded up laptops, searching on Flipkart, Amazon and even Paytm Mall(They have great cashbacks). I checked out many msi, asus, acer, dell, hp laptops on these sites. Most of them were chunky and heavy, and had a gamer look. Well not all of them. I ended up selecting two laptops within my requirements:

1. MSI GS63 7RD :
https://paytmmall.com/msi-gs63-7rd-240in-core-i7-7th-ge...

Including cashback, MSI GS63 7RD is costing me around Rs. 64000($920).

It sports an i7 7700 hq with a GTX 1050 2gb and 8gb ram.

It's much more subtle looking than the company's other products.

Also, plus is it's only 0.7 inches thick and weighs 1.7kg.

I'm not sure about battery life, but I think it can juice out 4-5 hours.

2. HP Pavilion Power 15 :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0752S2RDX/ref=mp_s_a_1_2...

Final cost is coming same as the MSI that is Rs.64000($920).

It sports an i5 7300 hq with a GTX 1050 2gb and 8gb RAM.

It has green accents but mostly on the inside and is very subtle looking.

It's on the thicker side. It's an inch thick and weighs 2.2kg.

The battery life is extremely good. Some say it can last more than 8 hours.

I'm really confused between the two. The only difference between the two is the processor.

As of now, I'm inclined towards the Msi, but I'm just worried if it's too gamer to take to college. Though even the hp has a hint of gamer with its green accents. And I think the msi is more value for money. Also, msi is extremely portable rather than the hp.

The only reason I'm holding back is I'm worried if the msi is too gamery.

What do you guys think?