Question MSI GS63VR restarting when plugged in ?

Mar 15, 2021
Good morning computer experts! I am hoping someone can help point me to the right direction...

Backstory: My MSI GS63VR was running very sluggish, so I went in and upgraded the 125gb SSD to a 1tb 970 EVO NVMe M.2 and traded up to 32gb ram. Also put in a new battery because the old one wasn't working without the cord (it was pretty old). This was done one February 19th, was working great, so I said it was a success! Only problem was when i closed it up, i had my right speaker not working. Decided to tackle later as it wasn't causing any issues.

Currently: Decided to fix the speaker, went in, straightened the cord, closed it back up. Speaker works! Problem now, is that when you plug it into the wall, it restarts the system about 10 seconds later. The laptop works great when on battery power, no shutdowns. The timing seemed to suspicious, but I decided to test out the possible culprits. Ran a multimeter on the power cord, its 19.5v consistently. Opened it backup, removed the battery and ran straight power, the system restarted. Removed the motherboard again to make sure the ram was seated correctly and all ribbons were connected properly, still does it. Ran BatteryInfoView to watch voltages, pretty consistent at 11.5 millivolts. It still charges the battery when turned off and plugged in.

I cannot figure this out.... what worries me is that the speaker either shorted something in the motherboard or I did... Where do I go from here? I'm tempted to go into the laptop a third time and remove the speaker just to see if its overloading it since it was hooked incorrectly for a month. I appreciate everyone in advance!

Mar 15, 2021
Update (and i apologize for the earlier freakout!)! We found out it was the Intel Display Drivers 530. My tech went ahead and reimaged windows thinking it was a driver issue, and as soon as the integrated display driver installed, it rebooted.

Currently, those are uninstalled and its running on the Basic display driver. As soon as the driver is installed, it reboots. If it wasn't for all the Premiere work and Gaming, i would be ok with the solution. Any idea what the incompatibility could be? I wish i could just run on the Nvidia card, but it doesn't seem like its an option. First time ive heard of this :)

Reactions: maras
Jul 25, 2022
Hi. Thanks Dagger for leave the solution. I want to leave message for next generation of those who wasting time due to the <bad language removed> issues. Uninstalling Intel driver of integrated graphics also helped me. I have MSI GL166 12UDK. I had the same problem with restarting laptop. No matter windows 10 or 11. After update bios to version E1584IMS.10E it was not helped yet but probably resolved other issues which blocked me. Eventually last thing I did was uninstalling Intel driver for integrated graphic card. Now seems works. :crazy: