MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the Price I thought to myself "let me guess, a 1060".
See, back in the day of the 570M and the 580M, an MSI laptop with a 570M would set you back 1.5k, the 580M would be at 1.7k (the cheapest I could find them).

Now, with no need to make both desktop and mobile chipsets (so, lower costs), the price has gone up. Now I know everything is going up (even if they say there is no inflation), but electronics used to go DOWN in price, not up.

And older gen hardware used to go down when new came up, not stay the same...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Ok, bottom of page 1:

"Removing the bottom panel reveals just how tightly packed the system is packed. The CPU has one fan on the bottom right, whereas the GPU has two on the bottom left. The 2.5mm hard drive is located on the top right, next to the battery. The memory and SSD slots are beneath the motherboard, making them inaccessible."

You can remove the first "packed" from the opening sentence and it will read better.

The memory and SSD slots? You mean the M.2 slot is my guess, since the 2.5" drive can also be an SSD. So when you say "inaccessible", does that mean that memory cannot be upgraded and the boot drive cannot be replaced at all? I'm guessing you're trying to say that accessing those components requires to remove the motherboard from the chasis... or perhaps removing the keyboard, which in some cases is just as easy as opening up the back of the laptop.

Bottom line, that's a very poor paragraph. You're welcome editor!

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

You're right. I edited this piece, and I remember making a note about the accessibility issue. Bad job on my part. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll clarify it and update this shortly.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I was close to buying a MSI Titan the other day when I saw a post claiming there is no service option available that will get a defective laptop (in warranty) repaired in less than several weeks, during which time the customer is dead in the water. (it was something like 25 business days for repairs, then 5-10 days more for processing/shipping.) That nixxed the purchase for me. I don't know what the ASUS situation is but it may not be any better?

My point is that I think these details should be included in these reviews. They may not be technical but they could be important factors in a purchase decision. (And shedding more light on them might help motivate saner policies in a competitive marketplace or at the very least make sure more consumers went into their decision knowing the risks they are taking.)

Clamyboy74

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Please do a review of the Sager NP8152-S/ clevo P650RP6-G make sure its the -s version or the -G version for g-sync(toggleable between that and optimus)

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I really like how the MSI has 3 fans! Though 1 of the three are smaller than the other 2, which causes beat waves. Do any of the other laptops tested in this article have 3 fans, or just the normal 2 count? I think the Clevo P650RP6 has 3 fans as well but not sure if identical thermal design.
I am very impressed with the thermal engineering effort put into this laptop. Will probably get the 17" 120HZ version fully specced out when the Kaby Lake version comes out, hopefully with a good 300MHZ CPU boost or so.

realpetrolium

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Late 2014 I bought a MSI GS30.
CPU fan failure in 2015 and they had no replacement parts on hand. Replaced from ebay after months of monitoring.
2016 the screen cracked and they have no replacement parts either.

MSI does not stand by their products support wise. Purchase if you'd be ok with owning a paperweight after 2 years.

realpetrolium

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Tell you what, if you find one I'll send you a 100 finders fee

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Limited upgradeability. Yea it sucks you can't get a bigger SSD down the line when say, 8TB m.2 SSDs exist, but that's OK. Get a 512GB SSD and 32GB of RAM and then put in a huge 2.5" SSD down the line.

You can use a high end desktop video card with this laptop via the thunderbolt connection.

Robert_402

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
At this level, I'd look at some of the boutique makers. @Xi has one that has a better price/performance ratio than any of these. Build quality and support are top notch on many of the smaller companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.