Question MSI GS65 8RF HDMI Out cuts out & USB hub issues

MACception

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
The laptop's screen works perfectly, it's just the display outputs that aren't doing so hot. The mDP port is a whole different bad because the signal from it will die out after a very short period of time and not come back. The HDMI out works fine most of the time but once every half hour or so it'll just lose signal for a couple seconds. Sometimes just once, other times multiple times in a row.

Other minor issues: Mouse/keyboard will lose connection sometimes when plugged in through a USB hub (though directly it works fine. Tried 2 different USB hubs and they both have the issue). Seems to restart itself after idling for a bit or asleep.

The BIOS is out of date but after hearing bricking horror stories, I've never had the guts to attempt one of those or an EC update... Think either of those would make any difference? Worth the chance? Just a bad unit, resell and run like hell back to to the world of desktops?

My fate is in your hands.

Lutfij

Titan
My fate is in your hands.
In essence, you're the one who is going to perform the BIOS update, so you're fate is in your hands.

With all things said and done/and read, you should look into your warranty period and if you're within it, I'd try contacting MSI and bringing them up to speed with the laptop's issues, in case a BIOS update does brick the laptop and you're still able to initiate an RMA.

Apparently there is only one BIOS showing up on product's support page under BIOS. I'd ask you to manually update the BIOS if so, using a FAT32 formatted USB and going into BIOS, as opposed to using the Dragon Center(or some such third party) app to perform the BIOS update.

MACception

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
Well, I WAS typing here that I was outside the warranty window because it says built 1/2018 and I also don't have the receipt... But I contacted them anyway and they're still going to take it in for repairs! Horray! Not sure if I would have thought to do that without your message, so... Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS