[SOLVED] MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF: Repaste & Thermal Pads

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
System
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF Gaming Laptop

I am in the process of repasting the CPU and GPU on the laptop and have a few questions (apologies for lack of knowledge of parts as I've never done this on a laptop nor a custom cooled GPU)

1. The paste I have is Grizzly Kryonaut, but it's over a year old (unopened). Still good or should I buy new?
  2. Correct thickness of the thermal pads on the VRAM? I have seen 1mm and 0.5mm. On skinny pad looks to be 2mm. Can a good brand be recommended?
  3. I'm not certain if it's a different type of paste or if it's simply still wet, but some of what I believe is also VRAM has paste instead of pads. Do I use the same paste as I would on a CPU or GPU?

Thanks!

Solution
System

I am in the process of repasting the CPU and GPU on the laptop and have a few questions (apologies for lack of knowledge of parts as I've never done this on a laptop nor a custom cooled GPU)

1. The paste I have is Grizzly Kryonaut, but it's over a year old (unopened). Still good or should I buy new?
  2. Correct thickness of the thermal pads on the VRAM? I have seen 1mm and 0.5mm. On skinny pad looks to be 2mm. Can a good brand be recommended?
  3. I'm not certain if it's a different type of paste or if it's simply still wet, but some of what I believe is also VRAM has paste instead of pads. Do I use the same paste as I would on a CPU or GPU?
Thanks!
  1. It's safe if not...
System

Thanks!
  1. It's safe if not opened
  2. Use same thickness as original, have a look at this one https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/299-carbonaut-en
  3. Yes if paste, use same as for CPU and chipset, VRM can get just as hot.

Solution