Question MSI GT72 SSD and/or CG not detected when laptop is too cold!

crowley_dot

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a very weird but confirmed problem with my (now pretty old) MSI GT72 : when the room is too cold (under 20°C) the laptop boots straight to BIOS and the SSD RAID where Windows is installed is not detected at all.
If I heat up the room or the laptop (just blasting it with a bathroom heater works fine but it will BSOD later if the room's still cold) then it starts without trouble and works fine, but will BSOD if it gets too cold again.
Sometimes if the laptop is really cold (if it was shutdown for a while for example) it's the Graphics card that's not detected, it doesn't do it as often as the SSD but it has happened also.
I have tried "software" solutions that I found on the net (Booting in UEFI instead of UEFI with CSM for example) but nothing worked except heating the laptop's case above 20°C.
My guess is that the cold contracts the metal in the connections and the SSD is not detected anymore, it's really weird but heating it up is the only thing that works.
The only solution that I can see is opening it up and cleaning then resetting the SSD and the CG, but I hate opening a laptop still under garanty so if anyone has had the same problem and solved it, I'm open for suggestions.
I have mostly opened this thread to see if I'm the only one with this problem, have any of you experienced it?

Last edited:

crowley_dot

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
PS:
I want to add that the laptop's internal temp doesn't seem to have much of an impact on this problem: it's the room temp that causes it when it gets under 20°C even if the GPU and CPU are around 50°C inside.