MSI GT73VR Titan SLI 4K Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Who is this laptop built for? I'm curious. It seems so cumbersome to carry around and use that the laptop form factor is lost on it. There is a 4K display built into it but even those 1070s on SLI can't hold 60fps in most cases. Who would buy this and what would they do with it?

If I had $3000 to burn and I wanted a somewhat portable computer, I would buy a desktop and stick it in an ITX case and purchase a 4K monitor separately. A GTX 1080Ti would hold up much better in 4K than two 1070s do. A big laptop might be a little more portable but it's so unweildly that the convenience is ultimately lost.

Anyway, I'm serious about wanting to know who this laptop is meant for and why just building a small desktop wouldn't be better.

One more thing, there is a spelling error near the top of the first page. I'll look that up in a second for you.
EDIT Power consumption is spelled wrong in the first paragraph. I want to see this article as polished as you can get it.

deadsmiley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
@ 16.85" x 12.36" x 1.76" 8.59 lbs. it's about 3.5 lbs. lighter than my Alienware M18x R2. Heck even the M15x is a tad heavier. Both my daughter and my daughter-in-law love their M15x's.

Although I do think that a single 1080 or SLI 1080 would be much better. Can't push 4k with this machine. My preference for screen resolution would be 1440p on a laptop this size.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
Could you PLEASE add gamut testing & results after calibration. Most of the boutique sellers offer calibration services, so this does matter. Also, colour accuracy, including gretag-mac Beth would be appreciated.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I own the 6820HK, not 7820HK, version with a 1080P screen, not 4K. Other specs were the same.

The first one was DOA out of the box - no video out.

The brand new replacement was DOA after a half day of use. While copying files overnight the screen turned off, and when I woke the screen up the next morning it shows an all white output. Restarted and had no video out.

The replacement is now going to a MSI repair depot. I couldn't send it back to Newegg, again, since I had sent out a rebate on it (removed the UPC label).

This experience has soured me on MSI laptops.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I think the problem is just marketing. If MSI stuck a 1080p or 1440p display on this thing, John Doe would look at everybody else with their 4K screens and go "Pft, I want the best, I want 4K," oblivious to the fact that it's just going to be a worse experience.

deadsmiley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

I have not owned an MSI. Sorry to hear you are having issues. It sounds pretty shitty actually.

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

I had a bad experience with a Lenovo gaming laptop, that was the end of my experience buying laptops for gaming...

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
SLI is bunk/defunct for the most part, so why oh why go in the hole for $3k+ for a ton (literally) of laptop that is going to have little to no SLI support in forthcoming titles?

As another poster stated, 1440p would be the ideal rez here with a single GPU.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

Funny you mention that. SLI isn't actually a thing with DX12 games - it's called Explicit Multi-GPU Mode, no longer SLI. And as you may or may not have heard, it does have to be implemented by the game developers - no development by Nvidia (or AMD).

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Perhaps many of you are missing the point or maybe I am. Currently I have a desktop with dual 980s and 5820k powering a 28" 4k monitor ($349). I paid $2930 for the desktop components including W10 and keyboard originally. I also have an MSI laptop with a 970m for traveling at $1400 cost. Now if the MSI 1070sli had the right cabling connections to power/dock with my desktop 28" 4k monitor, the MSI SLI could have replaced the need to purchase both a desktop tower, components, software, keyboard etc. saving money versus purchasing both a desktop and laptop.

The purpose at this point is to power a 4k monitor system. This laptop is more expensive than a gaming desktop with slightly better performance, but it could be an acceptable alternative and have the added benefit of being travel worthy. While I grant that a desktop can be upgraded and a laptop has very limited upgrade capability, the question becomes how performance do you actually need to acceptably power a 4k system.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

That's where a lot of "whining" is directed towards concerning lack of "SLI support" especially when new drivers rollout... It's directed at NV and can be seen on their website. As you stated as well as NV themselves (some time ago), no MGPU development on their end.

Giroro

Splendid
I dislike the marketing on this thing, a lot.
Writing 'Titan' on the side of computer that only contains 1070s feels misleading.

Plus that 'Game like a God' tagline comes across as both dated and childish.

Hasn't the market moved on from the circa 2004 red and black color scheme?
I bet this is the laptop Fatal1ty will buy for his grandson.

dstarr3

Distinguished

12-year-old fools and their parents' money are soon parted.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I'm 65 and personally like the red and black, as well setting the LEDs to red lights on
my keyboard mouse and desktop case fans. But then I'm a Buckeye so I like shades of scarlet and grey.

jongri

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I'd much rather have the more expensive, much faster, water cooled 18.4" ASUS ROG
GX800VH GTX 1080 SLI, 4K, mechanical keyboard, etc. notebook. If you're going to drop $3600 on an SLI notebook might as well go all out and buy the best for $5999.

Status
Not open for further replies.