Question MSI GT780DXR RAID stripe size

ttraveler

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
What is the original factory preset RAID stripe size for the MSI GT780DXR? Did all released versions of this laptop have the same RAID stripe size? Is there a better stripe size to change to?

I need to reset the RAID stripe size on my GT780DXR to the original factory settings so I can fire up the original twin 750g hard drives.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to read through this. I don't see anything about factory RAID stripe size on www and I think you're overthinking it when it comes to restoring older hardware. Your main goal should be to revive it, not literally make it what it was out of the factory. For that, you might want to contact MSI directly(via Email) and ask what the RAID stripe size is/should be but IMHO, that's moot since people would've already broken down the RAID array and made rebuilt them to their liking(and to their performance targets).

ttraveler

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Thanks for your reply Lutfij.

I have a very specific data recovery project. After extensive research all involved so far believe I must have the matching stripe size exactly correct or all data will be lost when the laptop boots and reads the RAID array. If the stripe size is correct the boot process will be normal. If the stripe size is not correct then the laptop will reformat the RAID to the currently set stripe size and all data will be lost.

I have contacted MSI by phone. Each time I get a different stripe size answer. Well, actually three different answers. Why did I call them 5 times? Because I must be sure of the correct stripe size so as not to lose the data on the two RAID drives. I am disappointed I received three different answers.

This is a data recovery project. I did ask in my original post if there is a better stripe size, but that is for after the data is recovered.