Question MSI GTX 1050ti AERO ITX OC 4GB reported having a bus interface of PCIe 2.0

Jan 20, 2022
Hello to all Readers of this Post, on or after 20220120:

I have this gpu, MSI GTX 1050ti AERO ITX OC 4GB.

My issue is that 2 popular software programs (HWINFO64 & GPU-Z) and Windows 10 Display adaptor show this gpu is to be running at PCIe 2.0 and not at PCIe 3.0 as indicated per MSI website. Even gpuzoo website shows PCIe 3.0 as well.
I understand how IF its put into a PCIe slot on the motherboard its both forward & backward compatible. The "SLOT" its in now is a PCIe 3.0.
However, I don't understand (yet) why this gpu is shown as PCIe 2.0 instead of PCIe 3.0.
What's a possible problem with this GPU??
Is there an easy or reputable solution to get it to PCIe 3.0??
Thanks to those who respond with respectful, and supportive answers.
Best regards

What's the rest of your setup? It seems likely you have a board that supports pace 2.0.
The bright side is, that's enough for this card when running at16x

Or perhaps you are using a CPU that only supports 2.0 regardless of the motherboard being used.

Alternately your motherboard may have the pcie slot set to run at 2.0

Another possibility is that your cars is only capable of pace 3.0 @ 8x and this being displayed as pace 2.0 @ 16x which is equivalent to pcie3.0@ 8x and the software is merely reporting pcie2.0@16x

To know for sure please provide the rest of your hardware specs

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022
What's the rest of your setup? It seems likely you have a board that supports pace 2.0.
The bright side is, that's enough for this card when running at16x

Or perhaps you are using a CPU that only supports 2.0 regardless of the motherboard being used.

Alternately your motherboard may have the pcie slot set to run at 2.0

Another possibility is that your cars is only capable of pace 3.0 @ 8x and this being displayed as pace 2.0 @ 16x which is equivalent to pcie3.0@ 8x and the software is merely reporting pcie2.0@16x

To know for sure please provide the rest of your hardware specs
Hello spentshells,
Thanks for such a prompt reply on this issue.
I have an ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 motherboard which has 3 each PCIe 3.0 slots. About the middle of 2021, I put 4 each 512GB M.2 SSDs onto an add-on card which required bifurcation set to 4x4x4x4 mode. I went into the Motherboard BIOS and changed the PCIe setting to allow it to recognize & run them. The settings were "AUTO/Gen 1/Gen2". I tried both the Gen 1 & Gen 2 settings until it worked.
So, long story shorter, I went back into the BIOS and chose "AUTO" for the PCIe and WHA-LA, the gpu is now seen as a PCIe 3.0 device.
So getting older (65+) does have its small but crucial moments for ensuring the "proper setting" is chosen for GPUs.
Again, Thanks a bunch for your quick reply, which caused me to "look again" at the PCIe settings for this motherboard.
Best regards.

Reactions: spentshells