MSI GTX 1050ti power connector mod

robertsabadac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hi !

I have a 1050ti from MSI that is limited to 75W from the motherboard (no PCIe connectors), but it has the solder holes for a 6-pin.

bVEwko3.jpg

PIr4N19.jpg

Could I add something like this ?

IGfo09c.jpg

I still feel like something's missing, and my gut's telling it isn't the wisest of ideas to try to mod it.

Solution
It has the holes. But you assume they go somewhere. In boards rated to need supplemental power there'll be other components like caps and transistors and diodes directly downstream from the power point that may or may not be included on the board as power is supplied from the pcie slot, not the top of the board. The board itself is generic, designed to accommodate several different models, some of which use supplemental power, it's a one size fits all board to save money, but the actual components added to the board will differ from model to model, seriously doubt MSI would add on all other unnecessary components that don't see any power diversion, for no reason.

It'd be like they wouldn't put the full 4Gb of vram on every single board...

robertsabadac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

It hits the power limit (according to afterburner) on any kind of load, so I thought it could help it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It has the holes. But you assume they go somewhere. In boards rated to need supplemental power there'll be other components like caps and transistors and diodes directly downstream from the power point that may or may not be included on the board as power is supplied from the pcie slot, not the top of the board. The board itself is generic, designed to accommodate several different models, some of which use supplemental power, it's a one size fits all board to save money, but the actual components added to the board will differ from model to model, seriously doubt MSI would add on all other unnecessary components that don't see any power diversion, for no reason.

It'd be like they wouldn't put the full 4Gb of vram on every single board and sell a bunch at 2Gb, even if the solder points were on the board, they'd still only put 2Gb of vram on a 2Gb board.

Solution

robertsabadac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

So even if I do everything correctly, it's pretty much guaranteed to have no effect, due to the missing parts. Thanks !