MSI GTX 1060 3G solid color crash

Aug 7, 2018
I have had a gtx 1060 in my pc for two years now and have had flawless performance out of it. This was until yesterday when I was playing cities skylines. To bump up the FPS I decided to go into msi afterburner and bump up the overclock. I probably did something very stupid by bumping the core clock to +700 and memory to +600. Core voltage was 115. This helped slightly, but ultimately I just bumped down the graphics in the game. Later that day skylines had a small update and after it was done I launched the game and the screen went lime green with an error message saying requested resolution unavailable or something like that. (1920x1080btw) I tried it again and it ran fine. So today when I went to start my pc it started fine until I logged in. Once I got to the windows 10 desktop, after about 3 seconds the screen would go lime green again and the pc would freeze. I kept restarting it and the time would vary but it would never last more than a minute with out going green. I got the chance to change the overclock to 105 core voltage and like 600 core mhz and 400 memories but it is still to high and I can’t get in to change it. A few times the screen went black and recovered but it wound up going black or green again. One time it was brown instead of lime green and now it’s more of a beige. I took out the gpu and cleaned it. I swapped PCI E wires and this was when I had enough time to change the settings as I stated earlier but it crashed when I was done. No capacitors are bulged, and it’s not the monitor or hdmi cable. Let me also note that it runs fine until you get to the desktop. It will sit on the Login screen just fine but as soon as you get to the desktop it goes solid. Also for just a split second before the desktop loads in the screen goes blue. There was once or twice that it didn’t, but every other time it did. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also for those who are wondering for the majority of its life I had the max temp set at around 85C.

Specs:
ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VIII MB
GSkill ripjaw 8mb 2666 x2
Intel 6700k @ 4.3Ghz
Corsair H80iV2
700W generic power supply
Samsung 850Evo 500mb ssd
Adata 127mb ssd

Note: Since posting the above I have removed the gpu and the computer runs fine. I now have no doubt it I it something wrong with the gpu.
I have had plans to replace it with a 1080ti for over a year now. Pending this situation I will most likely go forth with purchasing a better gpu. However I would still be interested in knowing if the 1060 is recoverable for use in any future builds. Thanks.

Generic no-name power supplies are not recommended. They often provide misleading information. Wattage is heavily weighted towards +5v and +3v lines and the +12v is weak. Check the label for +12v amperage to get an idea how much power it can deliver.

A good quality 400 watt power supply is the minimum recommended. This CORSAIR 400CX has +12V@30A which is equivalent to 360 watts on the +12 volt line.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Aug 7, 2018

Aug 7, 2018
I actually bought my pc prebuilt, but was unhappy with the setup. Therefore I heavily modified to the point that it can be considered a custom build. The only thing that is still the way it was is the cpu(6700k), case: (NZXT Phantom 240), one ssd(adata), the gpu( gtx 1060) and the generic 700W power supply which is a High Power 700 watt power supply.