MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X (6GB) fan problem

Cerberus_SV

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hello to the community. A few days ago i bought a new graphics card, the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X. I read many good reviews about it's cooling system but it seems mine has a strange issue. A few minutes after i started playing a game, the card became very loud. The loud noise didn't stop even after i closed the game so i decided to open the case and see what was going on. I saw that one of the fans was not moving and the other waa moving at full speed. When i gently touched the non moving fan, it started spinning and the other one reduced it's speed. A few seconds later they both stopped. Unfortunately i always have this issue. Only way to stop is to either open the case and touch the fan or shut down the computer and power it back again. Since the only spinning fan works at 100% (assuming by the loud noise) the card is very cool in temperatures (i was playing battlefield for almost 3 hours and the temp was 49 degrees Celsius) so the certain thing is that the card won't get damaged but i worry that the fan will have a reduced life since it's working at 100% once it begins and also the noise is loud. What can i do? is it a driver or BIOS issue (of the GPU) or a mechanical problem? Has anyone faced a similar problem with this GPU?

Solution
I have the same card and I can confirm that your description sounds like a faulty card.
Please note that the fans stop spinning below a certain temperature (i think somewhere between 40-50°C)
You might resolve the issue with a customized can curve, but since you got the card pretty recently and are still udner warranty I'd RMA the card. That'S what the procedure is actually for!
I have the same card and I can confirm that your description sounds like a faulty card.
Please note that the fans stop spinning below a certain temperature (i think somewhere between 40-50°C)
You might resolve the issue with a customized can curve, but since you got the card pretty recently and are still udner warranty I'd RMA the card. That'S what the procedure is actually for!

Solution

timekills

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
www.timekills.info

I have the same card, with the same issue. It took me a while to notice, because even under "heavy" gaming the PC has enough air movement that the GPU doesn't ht the 40C mark to start the fans up. However, when I manually start the fans, or when I benchmark the GPU causing an increase n temps - same problem. One fan will kick in and stay at max speed no matter what temp the GPU drops to. If I spin the other fan, then a moment later they will both drop to an inaudible speed as designed.

Did you end up RMA'ing your card or find another solution? I've tried adjusting the fan speeds through the MSI Gaming App and Afterburner, but once that one fan starts going full burn nothing short of manually spinning the other one does anything.

Uberrover

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2017
Hey, I have exactly the same issue, I finished my first pc build last night and all seemed fine. I just tried benchmarking it, with great results, it was all silent until it hit 60 degrees. It started making lots of noice and I also noticed one fan spinning and the other one wasn't. I shutdown my pc, turned it back on, and wham! It started spinning like crazy again, other fan was silent.
I heard you say you touched the other fan gently and it started spinning and the other one went silent, so I tried and it was silent immediately.

Now my question is, what did you do? Did you sent it back or did you change something in settings or what?

Rickybaby

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Ditto for me ... I have the same issue. And not with just gaming ... after some period of time ... the fan came on even in Silent Mode and was spinning like crazy. Noise got bothersome enough I googled it and ended up here. I hand spun the second fan and they both spun for a little bit and then went silent. WTF is causing this ???? Is there any way to stop this behavior ??? And why was this tagged as solved ... it wasn't solved ... obviously because others are having the same problem. Thanks ... anyone got an idea how to stop the card from behaving this way ??? And I'm happy with the card other than that and would prefer to not send it back. Thanks !

Uberrover

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2017

I ended up sending the card back with them saying the card was all fine. I installed it back in my computer and it has been working fine since. Maybe it could have been a driver issue, as I don't know if I updated the drivers when I finished my build...

Rickybaby

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Guess I will declare this one closed, just a guess. I did more googling and YES lots of other people having the same issue. Vids on youtube ... which show EXACTLY WHATS GOING ON. One vid declared it was a vid bios issue and if you updated to the latest bios ... the problem went away. COOL !!! Only my card ALREADY HAD THE LATEST VID BIOS FOR THIS CARD. How did I find that out ... the vid had links to the MSI support forums and had a link to download the latest and THUS I already had the latest. A little more poking around there disclosed more with the same issue. One post discussed overclocking with MSI Afterburner versus the MSI Gaming App and he found that when he REMOVED THE MSI GAMING APP AND USED ONLY AFTERBURNER FOR OVERCLOCKING ... ALL THE ISSUES WITH THE FAN SPINNING UP ... WENT AWAY. So ... ok, cool ... I'll give that a shot. So did. Removed the gaming App and ... NOT A SINGLE ISSUE WITH THE FAN !!!!! STAYS QUIET !!!!

So ... not sure if this is a permanent fix ... but seems like there is some issue with how the MSI Gaming App plays nice with that card or that care with particular vid bios'. Don't really know. All I know is that it worked for me ! Happy dance !!!

abd_ssr

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Does removing msi gaming app still working for you and solve fan prob ' please answer because i have same issue?

Uberrover

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2017

Well I personally think it's a software issue. As my card showed this behavior when I installed it at first, I sent it back, but they returned it to me saying it was all fine. It has been working fine since. I recommend you install Driver Booster 4 and update all your drivers.

OneShotRengo

Reputable
Apr 17, 2017
I currently noticed I have the same issue, I thought it was normal but after seeing this thread, opening my case, and giving the fan a slight push it started spinning. Did anyone ever find a resolution to this?

Cerberus_SV

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006

Sadly it is a mechanical problem, so the only way to permanently fix this is to return the card in order to be replaced.There is something you can do though to reduce the frequency of this unfortunate occurence, in case you have your computer on for the entire day like me. Install MSI afterburner and make the fans start on system boot and operate at all times (they do NOT by default). If the fans start properly, they will always function properly until you shut down your computer. Now your only chance of having this issue is when you power up your computer.