Question MSI GTX 1060 no longer recognized by PC

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Card: MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1

My daughter's PC only has two SATA ports so I ordered a PCI-E card with two extra SATA ports. When I installed the card today, the PC would no longer boot. It gave me two long beeps which - according to the motherboard's manual, means it can't find a graphics card. I removed the SATA card again but the PC still wouldn't boot. I did a CMOS reset, but that didn't help either. I tried another graphics card (GTX 670) and the PC booted up fine. But with the original card (GTX 1060), I get the two beeps.

When I put the GTX 1060 in my PC, I actually see my POST screen and after a while the Windows logo with the spinner. But when it's time to display the Windows desktop, the screen goes blank and my monitor displays "no signal".

So to recap: the card does not work at all in my daughter's PC (motherboard beeps "no graphics card detected"), but it works partly in my PC (I see POST and the Windows loading screen). When I try my graphics card in my daughter's PC, it works (so the PCI-E slot isn't defective or anything).

Could it be that somehow the card's BIOS got corrupted? That it doesn't properly identifies itself? Or is the card simply broken beyond repair?

Card: MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1

My daughter's PC only has two SATA ports so I ordered a PCI-E card with two extra SATA ports. When I installed the card today, the PC would no longer boot. It gave me two long beeps which - according to the motherboard's manual, means it can't find a graphics card. I removed the SATA card again but the PC still wouldn't boot. I did a CMOS reset, but that didn't help either. I tried another graphics card (GTX 670) and the PC booted up fine. But with the original card (GTX 1060), I get the two beeps.

When I put the GTX 1060 in my PC, I actually see my POST screen and after a while the Windows logo with the spinner. But when it's time to display the Windows desktop, the screen goes blank and my monitor displays "no signal".

So to recap: the card does not work at all in my daughter's PC (motherboard beeps "no graphics card detected"), but it works partly in my PC (I see POST and the Windows loading screen). When I try my graphics card in my daughter's PC, it works (so the PCI-E slot isn't defective or anything).

Could it be that somehow the card's BIOS got corrupted? That it doesn't properly identifies itself? Or is the card simply broken beyond repair?
When you trued to instal the gpu into your system did you remove the gpu drivers it was using for it's card? And clear it's bios before posting with a new serial keyed component

Both graphics cards use the same drivers.
Dosn't matter, it's coded under a different componets serial code this is one thing that i don't understand how people haven't learned yet. Just like swapping a optical drive in a xbox, ps, or whatever you have to have the new rom recoded to the system because they have they're own keys can't just plug and play everything. With other objects codes

Dosn't matter, it's coded under a different componets serial code this is one thing that i don't understand how people haven't learned yet. Just like swapping a optical drive in a xbox, ps, or whatever you have to have the new rom recoded to the system because they have they're own keys can't just plug and play everything. With other objects codes
Both graphics cards use the same drivers.
My brother and i upgraded are gpu's at the same time with the same card, however when we had to test his gpu we had to unistall my card drivers because my system didn't pass post at all it would post but wouldn't pass it till uninstalling old drivers

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
With all due respect, but I've literally swapped out hundreds of NVidia GPUs and not once did I have to remove the drivers first - let alone having to clear the BIOS. Removing old drivers and installing new is necessary if you go from NVidia to AMD cards for instance, of if you are swapping out a very, very old NVidia card with a new one.

With all due respect, but I've literally swapped out hundreds of NVidia GPUs and not once did I have to remove the drivers first - let alone having to clear the BIOS. Removing old drivers and installing new is necessary if you go from NVidia to AMD cards for instance, of if you are swapping out a very, very old NVidia card with a new one.
Yeah and more then likely down the road started running into bsod's or crashes. I have never been able to just swap a gpu without a problem atleast a few days down the road if not clearing the old drivers first. I myself have done quite a few gpu changes.

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Nope. Never had any problems. Not once.

I just replaced the defective GTX 1060 with a GTX 970. Again, no problems whatsoever. Not surprising since they use the exact same drivers. I'm going to try a forced reflash of the card's BIOS, since I suspect it somehow got corrupted.

CP_TH

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I didn't do a forced reflash of the VBios yet since I noticed something odd. The card identifies itself as the wrong model... It's actually an MSI 1060 6GT OCV1 (GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1C06 ), but it identifies itself as an MSI 1060 iGamer OC (GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1C03).